What you need to bring this coming weekend to MOB

MoodySabre

Visit site
Marconi SC will make no charge for facilities or BBQ coals but will sell beer at a small profit - so please bring:

Dosh for beer
Lunch to eat ashore if we have an RNLI speaker (still awaiting reply) which will be around 1230 ish give or take.
Wet suit for volunteer casualties
Food for the BBQ
More dosh for beer

If you haven't got the PBO article then PM me your email addy as I can't bring copies.

Fine weather ordered and packaged for timely delivery. Let's have a good turn out.

pennycar9

Visit site
Have you spoken to Terry Corner from the RNLI Sea Safety people. I havent got his number but if you phone Poole they will put you in touch.

jh2005

Visit site
Hi Roger,

We should arrive at about mid day on Saturday. Are there visitors moorings at Marconi SC or is it OK to pick up any empty buoy?

Cheers,

James

MoodySabre

Visit site
Just grab one and hope you don't get kicked off later. SimonSPGE (Commodore of Marconi SC) may know which are actually vacant and a rib may come and tell you off but as far as I know none are actually designated visitors buoys.

As a precaution I shall get there first!

MoodySabre

Visit site
Full Circle has suggested that I come up with a plan. So this is it subject to better ideas coming forward - this is a boat weekend so we must have a rigid plan!

If we get a last minute speaker then assemble Marconi SC 1230 - 1300. After that we take to the boats.

If we don't get a speaker then I suggest that we carry out some of the exercises on three motherships. There could be 20ish people so that sounds about right - a dinghy or two in the water, a casualty and recoverers and observers on board. So just to have a plan can I suggest Full Circle, Morgana and Sabre initially. We can then move to other boats that afternoon or decide in the evening on which motherships to use on Sunday. If everybody wants to try out their own boat then a bit of shifting around can take place.

Hopefully most of you have a copy of the PBO article which has some ideas. We can make our own up of course and FC is standing by with his equipment prepared having carried out a full theoretical desktop risk assessment and quality analysis.

Question is do we do this at anchor or on buoys at Marconi. Being an anchorphobe the latter gets my vote. My crew is deserting me on Saturday evening so I will definitely be on a buoy overnight.

I have suggested to Simon that BBQ will be 1830 onwards (getting dark boo hiss).

How does all that sound?

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
but as far as I know none are actually designated visitors buoys.

[/ QUOTE ]
There is one visitors buoy and it is the one at the Osea Island off the Club. Understand that barges can lie to it so if calm ('cos it can get a bit bumpy there with wind over tide) you might, with suitable approval etc, be able to raft up. Last time I passed (end of August) Simon was on it!

Have a fun weekend, sorry I cannot be with you but I've got to attend to some dib dib dib etc duties! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FullCircle

Visit site
Ah, pleased you have remionded me that FC requires the reloading of the Anchor and Chain before setting off, or I would have to use the mouldy old Fortress which currently resides in the Immigration Cabin at the front.

Auntie Helen

Visit site
Hi Roger,

Thanks for detailing the plans. We'll be leaving Sunday morning to get back to our mooring when there's still some water so can we request a chance to do some recovery practice on Chellers on Saturday? It's particularly useful for me to see if I can do it one-armed - highly unlikely is my gloomy prediction but who knows, it might be possible.

We seem to have pretty ideal weather for the event and are looking forward to it.

MoodySabre

Visit site
I'm not really in charge - only if it goes well and everyone enjoys it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Chellers why not.

HW Sunday is 1215 and you are an hour and a half away /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Auntie Helen

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
HW Sunday is 1215 and you are an hour and a half away /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Having had some nasty experiences recently trying to manoeuvre into our berth we prefer to return to it as the tide's coming in, not going out, so might want to get back before HW. We'll see how it goes.

mormargh

Visit site
Have not seen PBO, so hope I'm not repeating anything therein. Forumites may be interested in these snippets I picked up from a recent Sea Survival course and a talk by a USCG Lieutenant based at Culdrose (Royal Navy Search & Rescue).

I tried all manner of lifejackets (in a pool!) and discovered that crotch straps significantly improve their effectiveness. Likewise, those little toggles to connect them physically to your oilies. Also, automatic firing ones scare the [--word removed--] out of you when they go off. Regardless of what the manufacturers say, you don't have enough puff to inflate one, mainly due to the shock.

Recovering MOB's - USCG use a 'basket' to scoop them up. Someone (on here I think so credit to them) suggested a builders bag with drain holes. Excellent idea I think. USCG also said to put additional strop under casualty's knees and lift in prone position. Apparently, if they have been in the water any length of time, lifting by the ring on the harness/LJ could threaten chances of survival (did not understand medical reason well enough to explain).

Hope this is a useful addition to the info bank.

MoodySabre

Visit site
I have two knckered manuals LJs for volunteers to try out.

The sudden lifting thing is due to blood zooming to the feet and the heart not having enough (or so I was told).

Thanks for input

PM email address for copy of PBO article if you want it.

toad

Visit site
I suggest that when you arrive you give Simon a call on the radio to see what moorings are free, there should be enough free moorings as some boats have hauled out for the winter and a few boats are going to Brightlingsea this weekend.
My mooring (C 9) will be free from about HW Saturday until just before HW Sunday. If anyone uses my mooring the main strop has been damaged so use the backup chain or lightweight strop.