What was Patrick Laine’s previous craft? 😊

Laser310

Visit site
Agree, as he says in the video "welcome to my latest mistake"...
i think he indicates he will discuss this in the next video.

but he bought this boat after doing a longish delivery aboard a similar, but larger RM, in occasionally rough and windy conditions. One of his videos is about this delivery - and in it he seems to mostly like the boat

so, I doubt there can have been a huge surprise with the boat...

plenty of people buy boats with less appreciation of what they are buying than seems to be the case here.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
i think he indicates he will discuss this in the next video.

but he bought this boat after doing a longish delivery aboard a similar, but larger RM, in occasionally rough and windy conditions. One of his videos is about this delivery - and in it he seems to mostly like the boat

so, I doubt there can have been a huge surprise with the boat...

plenty of people buy boats with less appreciation of what they are buying than seems to be the case here.
Here's the video on the RM12 70, not what I would call comfortable.

Laser310

Visit site
Here's the video on the RM12 70, not what I would call comfortable.

to each their own.., i guess. But to be fair, they are in at least moderately bumpy conditions.

I prefer a lively boat over, say, my brother's Oyster. The Oyster is a great boat for cruising and live-aboard, but not a very rewarding boat to helm, and far too slow and unresponsive in light winds.

I just don't think I could own a boat that isn't fun to sail.

But, to the question of Patrick Laine's new boat, I thought on watching that video, that he liked the boat - in the end.

He must have, if he went out soon after and bought one.

Anyway, I guess we will have to wait for the next video to see whether it is the boat choice that was his latest mistake, or something else.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
to each their own.., i guess. But to be fair, they are in at least moderately bumpy conditions.

I prefer a lively boat over, say, my brother's Oyster. The Oyster is a great boat for cruising and live-aboard, but not a very rewarding boat to helm, and far too slow and unresponsive in light winds.

I just don't think I could own a boat that isn't fun to sail.

But, to the question of Patrick Laine's new boat, I thought on watching that video, that he liked the boat - in the end.

He must have, if he went out soon after and bought one.

Anyway, I guess we will have to wait for the next video to see whether it is the boat choice that was his latest mistake, or something else.
That's the point though, a cruising certainly an offshore cruising boat will see unfavourable conditions which in the case of a boat like the RM tire the crew (family) out very quickly and you don't spend much time on the helm when cruising responsive or not. They are to my mind inshore day boats where you hop from port to port with the odd longer passage. Far too sensitive to load and distribution with what looks like very little storage for a cruising boat. Fast and fun maybe, for a short time after which you will begin to yearn for a little sedate comfort.

Minerva

Visit site
That's the point though, a cruising certainly an offshore cruising boat will see unfavourable conditions which in the case of a boat like the RM tire the crew (family) out very quickly and you don't spend much time on the helm when cruising responsive or not. They are to my mind inshore day boats where you hop from port to port with the odd longer passage. Far too sensitive to load and distribution with what looks like very little storage for a cruising boat. Fast and fun maybe, for a short time after which you will begin to yearn for a little sedate comfort.

I imagine that their appeal is for normal working families that only have a 2 or 3 week annual cruise, but multiple evening sails / weekends sails throughout the season.

With their average speeds being probably 30% faster, that opens up a wider range of what’s available to see during your holiday and still gives some fun for short day sails…

The boat for a retired couple to live on 9 months or more a year? Probably the wrong tool for the job.

Laser310

Visit site
the next episode is out:

He sails his new RM 890 from Ireland to Iceland.

We never learn what was the "mistake" he mentioned in the previous video. I suspect that as Buck said above, it wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

The conditions seem pretty challenging at times: winds 25-35kts with an impressive sea state.

For a 29ft boat, it seems to handle the voyage quite well. He admits to being a bit uncomfortable, but this is normal.

Certainly, it's a sportier boat than the Contessa 32 we see sailing the same waters in the NBJS videos, and also shorter, but it doesn't seem less safe. The level of comfort for liveaboard is vastly greater.

There is no right answer.., everyone can decide for themselves what type of boat is the best for this kind of sailing.

geem

Visit site
That style of boat is designed to sail upright in the light stuff (chines out of the water to reduce wetted area); then lay over, onto a chine, and sit there as the wind builds. Powering up and heeling no further.
They will always go further. The chine adds form stability, that's all.

ImpImp

Visit site
Having just watched his latest video I'm not sure how keen he actually is on his current ride. It's notable that he keeps referring to her as 'The Boat' whereas Isabelle was always 'Isabelle'.

geem

Visit site
I was thinking that too. ☺️
Well, on all points of sail except a run.
She does roll A LOT on a run.
So much so that I avoid that point of sail at all cost. 🤮
We also roll a lot on a dead run. It's amazing how much better it is when we put the spinnaker up.
The other recent discovery is that if we sail wing on wing, with the pole on the genoa and setting the inner jib to leeward and sailing slightly by the lee its surprising quick and less rolly.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
It is really an illusion created by a very open interior, it's two benches a small forepeak and a space at the rear that would be a quarter berth on another boat. My old Vancouver 274 was better laid out and a damn site more comfortable granted nowhere near the speed but I was never thrown about like he was. As I said such a boat is a young mans toy far from what constitutes a decent cruising boat.