What tools have you wanted but can't get because they are on your boat?

Norman_E

Visit site
Courier ? Local agent as your rep ?
That is what I am doing, very nervously because services into Turkey have always been a bit hit and miss. Fortunately the tracking system now says that its out for delivery, and my friend out there is reliable. I used TNT which is owned by FedEx as I found the UPS website to be useless and they also make it impossible to phone them. TNT were helpful. In fact documents are treated as prohibited goods by all the courier companies if sent outside the EU, but TNT gave me a good hint that single sheets of paper are treated as documents and must be declared as such, but if bound together can be treated and described as a booklet.

Last edited:

Old Bumbulum

Visit site
Ether (aka Diesel) are still seen but rarely. There’s one guy in our club with a PAW but I’ve never seen it run. Each time he brings the model it steadfastly refuses to start. Just like it was in the 60s ?
Fascinating, though I've never heard of a Diesel referred to as an ether engine before.

If it won't start it's usually down to flooding or stale fuel. A diesel should start almost as easily as a glowplug. Certainly smell a whole lot nicer!

Skylark

Visit site
Fascinating, though I've never heard of a Diesel referred to as an ether engine before.

If it won't start it's usually down to flooding or stale fuel. A diesel should start almost as easily as a glowplug. Certainly smell a whole lot nicer!

Ether is the fuel. It’s aka a diesel as it’s a compression-ignition engine.

Starting them was always an art. It normally required a bit of a turn of the compression lever to start from cold, then back-off again once running. They were so sensitive to compression that it was quite common to completely loose the setting, hence their refusal to start.

All of my models use IC engines as I’m addicted to the nostalgic sights and smells.

One of my favourite models is Keil Kraft Super 60. It only makes an appearance on fine weather but with its OS40 it looks and sounds superb. Takes me back to the 60s ?

Red Panda

Visit site
Thankfully when I was on the boat on Sunday, Mrs. Panda phoned to warn me we were likely to go into lockdown. I spent a couple of hours transferring tools, and the boat floorboards, to the car. I guess that long-postponed strip and revarnish of the floorboards is finally happening.
The only thing whose absence I've noticed this week has been my workshop hoover, but the household d*son (spit!) can be consigned to garage duty.

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
I took a part made new mast step support down to the boat for a final check and measure last week.

Was really annoyed yesterday when I couldn't find it in my van at home and assumed I had left it on the boat. Pissed off to think I wouldn't be able to spend the lockdown finishing it in the workshop at home!

But then remembered I had gone down in the car and there it was in the boot. Result!

chriss999

sailing-chinee.com
Spare drill bits will be handy, possibly ring spanners but can improvise if necessary.

The really useful thing left on the boat is our household bottle of hand sanitiser, which I pinched last year for the spring cruise.

Topcat47

Visit site
Today my club went into complete Lockdown (only essential staff allowed in or out) and needed the siphon I keep on the boat for transferring fuel. Otherwise there's nothing on the boat I don't also have at home.

geem

Visit site
I got sick of needing tools that were either at the boat or at home, now i take them all with me at all times :)
I got sick of it as well so have got duplicate tools on boat and at home apart from my belt sander that is at home. I wish I had it here with me on the boat☹️

ashtead

Visit site
Thank you for advice on breaker bar - not something I hope I might use on board but might be of help at home. It sounds though like a short length of scaffold pole might achieve some leverage in much the same way. I have left a battery angle grinder on board but other than that it’s just a standard bag of boats tools and a socket set.
If looking for a missing Bluetooth speaker maybe a waterproof version would be of use ?
What I need to invest in though are a couple of yellow diesel can s to fill up when next at garage as ours is on board.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
Thank you for advice on breaker bar - not something I hope I might use on board but might be of help at home. It sounds though like a short length of scaffold pole might achieve some leverage in much the same way. I have left a battery angle grinder on board but other than that it’s just a standard bag of boats tools and a socket set.
If looking for a missing Bluetooth speaker maybe a waterproof version would be of use ?
What I need to invest in though are a couple of yellow diesel can s to fill up when next at garage as ours is on board.
A short length does the job - and fits all sizes of socket driver (best not your favourite ratchet handle though). A long length makes a very good big torque setter mainly using its own mass if you work out the angle from vertical....

wfe1947

Visit site
A breaker bar (also known as a power bar) is a long non-ratcheting bar that is used with socket wrench-style sockets. They are used to break loose very tight fasteners because their additional length allows the same amount of force to generate significantly more torque than a standard length socket wrench.

There's also a 'pry bar' of which I have 3 used for levering things apart
Or, you could just use a long steel tube over the socket wrench!