What to do??

Hirdsp

Visit site
Having trouble at my moorings, and wonder what to push for. I love the mooring settings and don't really want to burn my bridges, but things have come to a head. I won't mention where I am to cover myself, but it won't be hard to work out where on the Thames.

I am moored on an island with a ferry provided by the estate. The mooring is very expensive (£3.5k pa for a 9.5m) but very scenic. The ferry has been out of action for about a month now, and hit and miss for the most of this year. Security take us to the island, but that is a pain as we have 4 dogs and luggage (often a genny) and on a small boat and it is unstable.

Security will not take us on or off the island after dark. The security boat has been out of action as well. 3 times I have come down to find the ferry out of action and after dark so had to go home (80 mile round trip). If we do stay on our boat, we can't go out to dinner or for a drink. One of the security guards is very obnoxious and uncooperative.

I have written to the estate manager, as a lot of us have, but left it open for suggestions as to compensation. What do you think I should push for?

sarabande

Visit site
What does your contract with the estate say ? If there's any mention of "normally" or "best endeavours" or other constraints in the ferry clauses, you may be sunk. Otherwise, if the mooring is leased with access by ferry, then you are not in receipt of said service, and - pretty views notwithstanding - should make a written request (not complaint) to have the service re-instated. Then push that higher and higher till it goes to the owner.

You don't mention why you don'r run your own dinghy ?

Shannoner

Visit site
Sounds to me like they are trying to get rid of you. Are there any development plans for the area? If they make life difficult for you, you will all go away and the developers can move in and they can all make millions.

Chris_d

Visit site
I know exactly where you are and you will be struggling, if it was me I would push for at least a 50% reduction on the years fee.

Hirdsp

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You don't mention why you don'r run your own dinghy ?

[/ QUOTE ] - Four sets of dogs claws!! Little room left for dingy moorings now as well. As for getting rid, planning permission has just been turned down for an extra marina there, but well away from us. They would just not give us the opion to renew if they wanted it back. It nets around £40k per year in moorings and not much use for anything else so I don't think that can be the reason.

Chris_d

Visit site
I don't think that is really the point, SPH has paid £3.5K to moor his boat, a ferry is part of the deal. Using a dinghy is not really an option, i've seen the moorings in question and this isn't some cheap swinging mooring.