What to do with old fire extinguishers?

Leighb

Visit site
As per title, I have several out of date/low pressure dry powder extinguishers and wish to dispose of them responsibly. I don't think I should just stick them in the dustbin. Any suggestions?

Topcat47

Visit site
My current problem is the disposal of 5 litres of 5 year old unleaded. I'm not daft enough to use it as a firelighter, not blasé enough to pop it into the petrol tank along with some fresh.

Visit site
They're like flares and insurance. They're stuff you buy because everyone does and you think you should, then you never need them and eventually you throw them out and buy some more. Repeat, or not. Get a bucket of water.

James_Calvert

Visit site
I had this problem with an ancient BCF extinguisher. While I pondered it served well as a hat peg.

This year I took it off to clean behind it. Sometime in the past 35 years it had emptied itself.

So I binned it.

Sniper

Visit site
Just fire them into the skip. At least you will then know if they would have worked.
Exactly what I did with one of mine a year or so ago. Needle was well in to the green sector but the extinguisher was a few years beyond its ‘use by’ date. The paltry stream of powder that came out convinced me that a) replacement was necessary and b) even In their prime they were unlikely to be hugely useful in fighting a substantial fire.