What to do with old fire extinguishers?

Stemar

Visit site
When I asked a harbourmaster about disposing of one - best part of 15 years out of date, on the boat when I bought her, he told me to let it off into the big wheelie bin then bin it. I'm glad I wasn't relying on it working; it emptied, but not with the degree of enthusiasm needed to put out a fire.

penberth3

Visit site
When I asked a harbourmaster about disposing of one - best part of 15 years out of date, on the boat when I bought her, he told me to let it off into the big wheelie bin then bin it. I'm glad I wasn't relying on it working; it emptied, but not with the degree of enthusiasm needed to put out a fire.

What type was it? Well known that dry powder can compact itself in an extinguisher.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
What James said, plus another when I removed to check it found a “use by” date on the rear of 2007!!
I just found the fire Betterwear extinguisher whjich my father, a prudent man, bought with the first family car in 1966. I don't know if it would work, but as it comes with a refill kit (a Sparklets bulb and a bag of powder) I am tempted to try.

Stemar

Visit site
What type was it? Well known that dry powder can compact itself in an extinguisher.
It was dry powder. I don't much like 'em, but they'll do on a boat that would be a write-off if I have a fire that I can't put out with my foot/
Shake well before use.
More importantly, shake well once a year.
My current extinguishers don't have an expiry date, so I'll keep shaking them annually until the pressure drops or they get more than a little surface rust.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
It was dry powder. I don't much like 'em, but they'll do on a boat that would be a write-off if I have a fire that I can't put out with my foot/

My current extinguishers don't have an expiry date, so I'll keep shaking them annually until the pressure drops or they get more than a little surface rust.

When checking the pressure just ensure that the gauge till works and has not ceased in the current reading

BTW the loal safety regs state that the extinguisher container must be hydrostatically tested every 5 years.

syvictoria

Visit site
I too am looking for replacement fire extinguishers and am considering ordering 2 of these:

1ltr+ Water Mist Fire Extinguisher - Ultrafire

I can't really fit the larger version, and the additional suitability for class F fires is reassuring. However, they only last for 12.5 seconds! Am I going to be able to put out a small fire in that time? I have no idea! But I don't like the idea of powder and I have very little space...

Usangi

Visit site
We recently bought a 1975 Jaguar 27. When we first viewed it, we forgot to ask about safety equipment. We rang and spoke with the seller, who told us the boat did indeed have fire extinguishers and although she hadn't ever checked them, she assumed they were still in date.

We bought the boat, and checked the fire extinguishers. They went out of date in.....1980.:ROFLMAO: The original fire extinguishers!

PilotWolf

Visit site

Depending on how much you use the boat I'd be shaking a lot more often than that, especially on a motor boat.

W