What to do re busted engine

martin

Visit site
Hi,

As you can see from previous post by boat is stuck in Dartmouth with a busted engine. All covered by warranty but without pointing finger's at anyone the "plan" seems to be changin by the minute and the date when the boat will be back in service is moving further and further away? Any advice welcome!

Mon 30th - boat oil pressure light on and engine fails
Tue 31st Engineer arrives but unable to connect computer orders correct part
Wed 1st - Part arrives but is wrong
Thur 2nd - Part arrives wrong again but manufacturer send someone in a car from head office. no joy still dunno whats wrong. Arrange manual pressure test next day. I Leave boat in Marina and return home
Friday 3rd - Engineer unable to attach manual tester with engine in situ. Promise new engine for next week. Boat to be moved to Totnes on Monday and lifted out etc
Monday 6th - No can do today..will put back lift out to Wednesday!!!

Not sure if i am being a bit pushy here but expected clear plan of action and some dates to given...seems as if this is too much to ask....anyone know what my rights are and what is the best course of action?

G

If boat new, contact trading standards or citezens advice re "fit for purpose" rights. if not new start going to the top of the companies involved. Keep records of all costs involved and make note of "loss of use" details. Good luck you'll need it. Just out of interest what engine is it?

Scubadoo

Visit site
What you are experiencing is normal. When my boat was new it had a number of problems including engine/sterndrive. They took a little longer responding, in one case early this year I had to wait a couple of weeks before I even got a visit Volvo Penta Dealer) - their excuse, all their engineers were doing contract work with the Royal Navy and did not know when that would be complete (sod their other customers!).

When I was unhappy with Sealine I wrote to their Chairman (didn't make any difference but I felt better).

What have done in similar circumstances is to fax them with the problem and chase by phone every day. My experience is who shouts loudest will get attention - but don't get abusive.

It's a cottage industry what do you expect!

Good luck and keep us posted.

RM.

martin

Visit site
Thanks for the re assurance. The engines are new merc 7.3L Dtronics. Everyone seems to be doing there best. Guess I need to give them a bit more time.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
It all sounds very typical of the laid back atmosphere down here in the West Country. I would agree with the others that you need to keep harassing them in a friendly way on a daily basis and also let them know that they will be accountable for any and all losses. Also I would be tempted to tell them that you have a cruise planned in the very near future for which you have taken a few weeks holiday from work and let them know how upset you and your family will be at missing it and how much an alternative is likely to cost.
Who is dealing with things for you in Dartmouth and who is arranging to take the boat up to Totnes?
Good luck!

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Hope its not that Goss Philips lot up there!! Or you'll be lucky
if its only the engine yuv lost!!
I have same trouble. Tell them you've got eight coming to stay next week. Hint that one owns Cat or Volvo or whoever.
Dont sound right but just give as much shit as you can.
I've tried all the other aproches.

Haydn

martin

Visit site
Didn't want to name names at this point but its not the Goss Phillips lot. Things seem to be moving along a bit now as the boat is out and the engine is standing by. just need the rear cockit deck lifting so we can get the old engine out..going to visit today to see whats what.!