what is the name of a feature that occurs on some racing yacht

blue 4 blue

Visit site
If you look at the bows of Comanche and Rambler 88 what is the correct name of the feature that starts at the bows of the boat that goes backward into what evolves into tumblehome and the chime of these boats. I know narrow boats have them that extend back from the bows right to the stern I think they're called rubbing strakes but a boat has no need for them. They effect the water flow when the boat is powered up on the plane

bignick

Visit site
Not sure if they have a particular name, as yet. They look like spray rails that morph into chines further aft.

Woodlouse

Visit site
I'd describe them as spray rails even though they are worked into the chines. Either way they'll keep at least some of the water from coming over the bow in sheets when reaching or going upwind.

markhomer

Visit site
They also provide lift to stop the bow going down ,i expect on racing boats more for this than crew comfort �� old big vor 70s had them very pronounced at bow

Keen_Ed

Visit site
Are you talking about the rounded corner between the topsides and the bottom of the boat? The turn of the bilge? Even more pronounced in the flat-bottomed surfboards than on traditional hull shapes.

Keen_Ed

Visit site
Oops, yes.

The chine. Softer than it is right aft, but still the chine.

DSC_1311_800.jpg

Superyacht-Comanche-ready-to-be-launched-by-Hodgdon-Yachts.jpg