What is the buzzer for on the ignition?

geardownthreegreens

Visit site
I will do indeed. So how much money are we talking about /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I will either go down to Poole this weekend or next for sure, regardless of weather.
Thanks for all the ideas guys!!!

Lakesailor

Visit site
Don't any of these boats come with handbooks? Seems to me that the manufacturers ought to let you know what the various buzzers and things mean.

BrendanS

Visit site
CE/RCD regulations for new boats, are that manuals for boats are provided.

I'm not a great fan of these regulations, though providing manuals for boats is one of the regulations that does seem sensible?

geardownthreegreens

Visit site
Yes i'm with you on this matter, it does seem a good idea, albeit a little late for a lot of boats now.
Its a step in the right direction.

Last question before bed, any ideas where i may be able to get a Rinker 212 manual from,preferably on the net for free /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Alrob

Visit site
having had a rinker 232 I seem to remember the manual was a bit vague it probably would have said something like if the buzzer sound stop engine and seek engineer !!!
Even the engine manuals are a bit vague (you can download them for free)
I think maybe a engine workshop manual is what you are looking for.

p.s. I do remember that the buzzer on my rinker stopped working & buzzer & had to be replaced (a couple of quid from maplins)

cheers

geardownthreegreens

Visit site
UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went down to the boat today. Topped up the steering and drive tanks. Checked all wires.

Still the buzzer sounds.

I noticed the tilt and trim tank could have done with a little extra but didn't have the fluid with me. So it could be that, but i'm doubtful.
Looks like i'll just continue on,unless someone can suggest anything at all,something overlooked?

Cheers guys, much appreciated.

lovezoo

www.myspace.com
On my 2001 Mercruiser the only three alarms are:

1) Engine oil pressure too low
2) Engine temperature too high
3) Drive oil level too low

There are no other alarms for alternator or trim position etc.

Information on this is contained in the Mercruiser manual not the boat manual, as it is specific to the engine not the boat.

As the engine is running ok it sounds likely that one of the three sensors is not working properly (or is a bad connection).

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
I was convinced it was the drive oil! Oh well...

I know you've said the engine temp is fine, but is it about 170 deg? That's what mine runs at and if it's running any hotter than that it could be triggering the alarm, I guess.

Otherwise, a dodgy sensor or some such, I suppose, as already suggested.

brianrunyard

homepage.ntlworld.com
Low oil pressure

My boats have always had a buzzer connected in parallel with the oil warning light for low oil pressure. Hence they sound when you switch the ignition on, but go out as soon as you start the engine and the oil pressure rises.

geardownthreegreens

Visit site
Re: Low oil pressure

Once again, thankyou guys!!!!!

Right, i've just got myself a manual on disc and i'm going to have a look.
I cant see it being temperature,because the alarm sounds/continues after start up,so the engine would be cold, plus its got a new thermostat and gasket and the engine temp on gauge is where it should be.
Oil pressure gauge shows fine and she has plenty of fresh oil in her.

As SuperScuffer pointed out, i may need to check connections again although i did take a look and they looked ok but it could be a bad sensor, this is now where my attention will focus. The last time i took her out,she didn't miss a beat,all gauges were good,everything looks as it should, so it must be a sensor.
I should also say, that when i got the boat home, we did notice a slight short on the electrics but thats been sorted now but shows that there could be more problems learching.
Thanks to all of you for your inputs. Its very good of you to suggest so many areas to look for that i may have missed.
Simon

Update.
I've just looked on this disc manual and it shows 2 audio sensors. One for oil and one for water temp.Bugger me, after all that. I'll buy the water one first and take it from there. I'll update in a couple of weeks with a new thread.
Cheers again

Lakesailor

Visit site

I'm amazed no-one has suggested yet that you can isolate which sensor is giving trouble perfectly easily by disconnecting the wires from each sensor in turn. When the buzzer stops sounding you've found it. Try grounding that wire to the block and if the buzzer starts again you know for certain that the sensor has gone.
I found the problem using this technique on my Johnson 70hp when I had a similar issue.
I'm sure you will find plenty of info on these sorts of problems on the iboats Forums
Helpfully at the inboard/sterndrive section.

geardownthreegreens

Visit site

Thankyou Lakesailor. Talk about stating the obvious. Even i didn't think of that /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Your quite right. Yes, a very simple job of disconnectin 2 wires, 1 at a time. Mind you, now having a engine manual that shows a wiring diagram with the 2 audio sensors also helps /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I now wont be buying any sensors until i've tried this suggestion.
Many thanks again