What is a Deben 4 tonner?

Tranona

Visit site
That's a great account Mr T, and very good work. I do wish today's manufacturers would show their new kit with such clear and detailed diagrams. Personally, I love the monochrome.

I won't deny...I'm starting to think I'd like one!

Just need a boat to match... :confused:

If you look at the colour ads of the same period they have a complete engine just hanging in space looking very much like the pose in your pic. That was done by hanging it up on a piece of fishing line in the studio and taking a series of pics as it swung around! long before digital photography, airbrushing and photoshopping.

Happy days.

ianc1200

Visit site
Useless without a photo, but passed a pretty small yacht in Landermere Creek (Walton Backwaters) on Sunday, later as we anchored at Honey Island it sailed past & the lady owner told me the boat was a Deben 4 tonner.

dancrane

Visit site
Beautiful boat. Great photo - doesn't look nearly eighty years old.

Cyrelia_zpscfufg8tw.jpg

dancrane

Visit site
Beautiful boat, and quite a generous sail area.

I love the note about the auxiliary..."7-10hp engine should add about £10 to the total". :rolleyes:

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Beautiful boat, and quite a generous sail area.

I love the note about the auxiliary..."7-10hp engine should add about £10 to the total". :rolleyes:

The Bank of England's inflation calculator makes the engine £582 in today's money, and the boat itself £11,659. For a new boat, that's amazingly good value! It suggests that boat building has suffered a much higher rate of inflation than most things; I doubt you could get an engine for much less than £5,000 and the boat itself would certainly be WELL over £100,000!

Tranona

Visit site
The Bank of England's inflation calculator makes the engine £582 in today's money, and the boat itself £11,659. For a new boat, that's amazingly good value! It suggests that boat building has suffered a much higher rate of inflation than most things; I doubt you could get an engine for much less than £5,000 and the boat itself would certainly be WELL over £100,000!

More importantly, wood cost next to nothing and skilled labour £5 a week, working flat out 10 hours a day in an unheated shed with an earth floor, no business rates, no H&S, no management except the owner of the business, no intermediaries between the builder and the buyer, no VAT etc etc

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
More importantly, wood cost next to nothing and skilled labour £5 a week, working flat out 10 hours a day in an unheated shed with an earth floor, no business rates, no H&S, no management except the owner of the business, no intermediaries between the builder and the buyer, no VAT etc etc

As you say, a different world. Labour was also often "tied" in ways that would be totally illegal these days; my father told stories of growing up in a mining village where the mine owner controlled the community to the extent that the son of a miner who did not wish to go into the mines would find it very difficult to get any other employment.

debenriver

Visit site

Not quite as bad as that sounds - working hours in the 30's at Whisstocks were 7:30 to 10:00 - tea break - 10:10 to 12:30 – lunch hour - 13:30 to 15:00 - tea break - 15:05 to 17:30. That's 9 hours less 15 minutes for two (free) tea breaks – not so horrible! The shop had a wooden floor and was heated with wood-burning stove.

And my father generally worked alongside the rest of the workforce - same hours - same work - same conditions.

Cheers -- George

Wansworth

Visit site
I worked for David Hillyards for one year and found the work in general very relaxed and at slow speed measured by the pace of a steady walk or slow evolution of a boat from a pile of wood.My worst memory is holding the dolly for holding on when it was beyond ice cold in March...the quickest movement was Friday afternoon at five,knocking off time for the week!

ianc1200

Visit site
1936 Deben 6 Tonner 1.jpg

1936 Deben 6 Tonner 2.jpg

As it was on the next page of December 1936 YM, when cross checking with LLoyds, this boat Scotia was also built by Whisstocks, and is designed by WM Blake - so perhaps a Deben 6 tonner.