What hydraulic fluid

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
I'm currently servicing my hydraulic lifting keel. It is just over 1/2 ton and is manually pumped.

I have never changed the fluid since owning the boat and thought this might be a good time to do it.

Any suggestions of what type of fluid to use. It is currently a red colour.
TIA.

penberth3

Visit site
I'm currently servicing my hydraulic lifting keel. It is just over 1/2 ton and is manually pumped.

I have never changed the fluid since owning the boat and thought this might be a good time to do it.

Any suggestions of what type of fluid to use. It is currently a red colour.
TIA.

Check carefully, don't rely on random guesses on here. It could be one of a number of products. Using the wrong one can destroy the seals very quickly.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Red hydraulic fluid is most likely be Auto transmission fluid but I normally use hydraulic oil from any hydraulic fluid/fitting supplier

I have hydraulic steering and hydraulic stern step hatch

hydraulic oil UK - Google Suche
My steering uses hydraulic oil, was full of red oil when i drained it, but was not ATF

ATF has a higher viscosity than the correct steering oil, not sure if that would apply to the OPs keel though.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Mr Google

What kind of fluid do you put in hydraulic steering on a boat?

Caring for Your Hydraulic Steering | BoatUS

It is the best oil to use in hydraulic-steering systems, but any oil that meets MIL 5606 specification can be used, and in an emergency, even 5W engine oil. While many boaters use automatic transmission fluid in their steering systems, using the manufacturer's recommended product is the way to go.

What oil do you use for hydraulic steering?

The most common fluid used is Dexron® based ATF and many suppliers use this as their base product for Power Steering Fluid. Some systems require fluids that also work with other hydraulic systems and can specify synthetic specialty fluids that contain additives to suit that particular system.

The my aft hatch hydraulic is basically a hydraulic cylinder powered by a pump / motor controlled by a 3 position solenoid control valve made by myself

Used to design hydraulic powered and controlled hydraulic machine tools in previous life

Note if the hydraulic oil damages the seals it most likely the material the seals are made of and not the hydraulic oil used.

All the automatic gearboxes I have stripped down are all hydraulic operated and brake bands operated by hydraulic oil (ATF) for longer life

I personally don't use ATF only to the cost as standard hydraulic oil normally costs less and I buy mine in 5 lit cans

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Mr Google

What kind of fluid do you put in hydraulic steering on a boat?

Caring for Your Hydraulic Steering | BoatUS

It is the best oil to use in hydraulic-steering systems, but any oil that meets MIL 5606 specification can be used, and in an emergency, even 5W engine oil. While many boaters use automatic transmission fluid in their steering systems, using the manufacturer's recommended product is the way to go.

Yes and the manufacturers recommend their own oil OR any oil that meets MIL5606, but their own oil doesn't meet that spec !

What oil do you use for hydraulic steering?

The most common fluid used is Dexron® based ATF and many suppliers use this as their base product for Power Steering Fluid.

This is incorrect as far as boat steering is concerned. The most common systems on boats are Hynautic, Seastar, Baystar et al, who recommend their own oil, which is simply ISO15 hydraulic oil. In an emergency they say that Dexron etc can be used. You could get by with all sorts of other fluids but most would have a higher viscosity than ISO15 and make the steering heavier.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Of cause the manufacturer of any hydraulic system steering or keel lifting would recommend their own labeled oil but how many manufacturer their own oil its all badged as their name but supplied by an oil manufacturer

The steering on both my boats are hydraulic and one is twin steering and th eother is single aft wheel house.

Most are a piston either radial or axial with a a pilot operated check valve on the twin wheel steering of a single with an hydraulic autopilot as my twin wheel steering has.

The viscosity of the hydraulic that should be used depends on many factors mainly the temperature of the oil in use.

In the UK in colder climates you will use a lower viscosity than you would use in higher temperatures like in the tropics

Power steering also has a higher viscosity as the working temperature of the oil tend to he higher dur to the energy added raising the working temperature of the oil

The application that the OP has asked about looks like a hand operated lift keel setup which is not a very demanding setup and a major difference in oil viscosity would not affect the forces involved greatly

Make sure you know what you are talking about with real life knowledge and not just read from a book

As I said I used to design machine tools using 3000psi hydraulic systems for many years in the UK before leaving UK fore warmer all year round sailing

Also note Vetus supply hydraulic steering but I doubt they manufacturer the pumps and the oil they supply they simply buy in the components and have their name put on the item and on the box they come in

I fiend on mine was the agent for Vetus in Cape Town

Also read this thread

Seastar steering fluid.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Of cause the manufacturer of any hydraulic system steering or keel lifting would recommend their own labeled oil but how many manufacturer their own oil its all badged as their name but supplied by an oil manufacturer

The steering on both my boats are hydraulic and one is twin steering and th eother is single aft wheel house.

Most are a piston either radial or axial with a a pilot operated check valve on the twin wheel steering of a single with an hydraulic autopilot as my twin wheel steering has.

The viscosity of the hydraulic that should be used depends on many factors mainly the temperature of the oil in use.

In the UK in colder climates you will use a lower viscosity than you would use in higher temperatures like in the tropics

Power steering also has a higher viscosity as the working temperature of the oil tend to he higher dur to the energy added raising the working temperature of the oil

The application that the OP has asked about looks like a hand operated lift keel setup which is not a very demanding setup and a major difference in oil viscosity would not affect the forces involved greatly

Make sure you know what you are talking about with real life knowledge and not just read from a book

As I said I used to design machine tools using 3000psi hydraulic systems for many years in the UK before leaving UK fore warmer all year round sailing

Also note Vetus supply hydraulic steering but I doubt they manufacturer the pumps and the oil they supply they simply buy in the components and have their name put on the item and on the box they come in

I fiend on mine was the agent for Vetus in Cape Town

Also read this thread

Seastar steering fluid.
Yawn.