What HP for an emergency get-you-home outboard?

Visit site
*Brushes dust off the thread*

Sorry to restart an old thread but did the OP get an outboard in the end? I too have an 805 and am looking to put an Aux. motor on the back as a just in case (Volvo Penta Tamd41p fitted), currently looking at 6hp outboards due to weight.

Cheers all!

ontheplane

Visit site
I think a 6hp “sailpower” type would be ok but a standard 6hp too small?

The main difference is the lower casing, gearing and type of prop. They also have a high output generator so if the problem is a flat battery you could charge it quicker.

Yamaha do a FT version of their engines which have higher thrust and more torque to drive larger boats slowly not light boats fast. And a high output alternator.

https://cdn2.yamaha-motor.eu/prod/product-assets/2017/FT9/Factsheets/2017-FT9-9L_en-GB.pdf

Mercury do “sailpower” - same idea FourStroke 2.5-25hp | Mercury Marine can only see a 5hp

Tohatsu do a 6hp Tohatsu 6hp SailPro outboard engine
But their upgrades seem limited to just an alternator.

See who else makes them?

ontheplane

Visit site
Exactly, this is why it isnt the HP that is relevant for an aux it's the thrust which is a factor of the torque, the gearing and the prop. It's why they have saildrive type engines for large boats with small engines.

The key is fitting a low speed, high thrust prop and the correct gear ratios to get max thrust from the motor.

chuzzlewit

Visit site

Sorry to restart an old thread but did the OP get an outboard in the end? I too have an 805 and am looking to put an Aux. motor on the back as a just in case (Volvo Penta Tamd41p fitted), currently looking at 6hp outboards due to weight.

Cheers all!
I eventually got a second hand two stroke extra long shaft 10hp Mercury. Thanks for all the comments.

freddyuk

Visit site

Cheers all!

Let me know as I am looking to do the same to my 805. Hardly been on the thing since buying and the list of jobs and piles of kit to install is getting beyond a joke.! We still restricted to 5km from home.

Visit site
Update: I have purchased a Mercury 6HP 2 stroke outboard which was in very very good nick and excellent price (I got lucky). Once I get my boat over I will give it a test and report back.

If someone else beats me to it please post your results!

Thanks all.