What happens to old boats?

Daydream believer

Visit site
I see some lovely old things abandoned and even still afloat in the exe river - that just need an interested party to show them attention. Most of it is cosmetic. .

Dream on!!!!. If you have not had any jobs that you thought were " only cosmetic" that did not turn into an expensive nightmare & take ages to complete then you have never owned an old boat or you have been extremely lucky-- Or of course your boat is still anchored in the Exe

Keith 66

Visit site
On a boat built in the 1970's or 80's & neglected for years i would expect a lot of "cosmetic" work, polish, a lick of paint etc, not in itself too expensive. In reality a boat that kind of age will need or shortly need, new engine, stern gear, rigging, sails, wiring, headlining etc etc. All that lot added up makes most old boats totally uneconomic to restore. And that is why there are lots of them derelict.

armchairsailor

Visit site
There are a couple of places that recycle old boats around here. One breaks them, sells the salvageable/ scrap parts and gives you a cheque (can't imagine it would amount to much) and the other you can go and get second hand spars/ rigging, ovens, whatever from. Both within an hour of me. It's a big issue here on the west coast as you've got a lot of abandoned projects and dreamers, plus a lot of mabs. So, same wherever you go...

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
The Sea Cadets recently rounded up all their ASCs (rather nice sixteen foot GRP heavy pulling and sailing boats) and on the orders of the MOD they were disposed of as land fill.

This annoyed me, as a Sea Cadet supporting parent who offered to buy the better of our local unit's two ASCs.

Presumably some wally had decided that the MOD might be sued if somebody drowned.

fisherman

Visit site
Local MOD renowned for such behaviour. Unused Coventry Victor engines smashed a few years ago. More recently hundreds of sheets of ply burned. The suppliers insist that none of the stuff they supply under contract ever gets onto the market.

Keith 66

Visit site
The Sea Cadets recently rounded up all their ASCs (rather nice sixteen foot GRP heavy pulling and sailing boats) and on the orders of the MOD they were disposed of as land fill.

This annoyed me, as a Sea Cadet supporting parent who offered to buy the better of our local unit's two ASCs.

Presumably some wally had decided that the MOD might be sued if somebody drowned.

Actually they probably buried them because rowing the things could probably be considered as child abuse. Seriously i can think of no boat guaranteed to put kids of rowing for life than those!

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Actually they probably buried them because rowing the things could probably be considered as child abuse. Seriously i can think of no boat guaranteed to put kids of rowing for life than those!

People differ - both my sons preferred rowing the ASCs - if well set up - to the little things they replaced them with - one went on to a career (MN not RN) and the other is still a Cadet.