What gear have you got onboard that you wish you never bothered with

DAKA

Visit site
Just looked on the for sale forum and seen Dougie's garage sale, it occurred to me that I could sell about a ton of equipment off my boat that hasnt been used for 2 or more years and not really miss it.

I have carried a kedge anchor including warp and chain for the last 10 years and never used it.

On arriving on foreign soil , I used to dash into the first chandlers I found and rush to fit a courtesy flag , now I have an extensive set I never bother to hoist them anyway.

Spare steering tiller, yes believe it or not my Princess came with a 5 foot bent heavy duty steering tiller which can be attached to steer the boat if the auto pilot fails, both steering wheels fall off and I loose an engine :rolleyes:

I think its time some of this cr p, got sorted :), what have you got on board getting in the way ?

benjenbav

Visit site
Just looked on the for sale forum and seen Dougie's garage sale, it occurred to me that I could sell about a ton of equipment off my boat that hasnt been used for 2 or more years and not really miss it.

I have carried a kedge anchor including warp and chain for the last 10 years and never used it.

On arriving on foreign soil , I used to dash into the first chandlers I found and rush to fit a courtesy flag , now I have an extensive set I never bother to hoist them anyway.

Spare steering tiller, yes believe it or not my Princess came with a 5 foot bent heavy duty steering tiller which can be attached to steer the boat if the auto pilot fails, both steering wheels fall off and I loose an engine :rolleyes:

I think its time some of this cr p, got sorted :), what have you got on board getting in the way ?

Don't be in too much of a hurry to get rid of the spare steering tiller. I've used mine. Err when I thought my hydraulics had failed but in fact I'd forgotten I'd left the autopilot on, since you ask. :eek:

I do have some wooden blocks attached to each other by rope which may be some sort of rudimentary ladder or something for spreading the load against a harbour wall or maybe some form of obscure martial arts equipment or - as I use them - something to rest other stuff on at the bottom of the lazarette.

DAKA

Visit site
Don't be in too much of a hurry to get rid of the spare steering tiller.

Not sure the phrase 'get rid' is technically correct, I am testing the waters to see if I can follow Dougie's example and make a few quid out of it ;)
Alright not a lot of effort went into my sales pitch but as you have pointed out these are essential for everyone to carry and can also be used as a kedge anchor ;)

£30 anyone + P&P or pick up from Newton creek where I was about to dump it :D

pappaecho

Visit site
JRC 1000 Radar. It has the same size LCD screen as a 10 year old Garmin chartplotterm the difference being that the Garmin is eminently readable, whilst the 2 year old radar is not

kashurst

Visit site
hair straighteners

I have an forward looking sonar and I'm quite fond of it (it's useful!)
however the emergency tiller et el are probably just jetsam in waiting - that and the hair straighteners (what ever they may be.......)