What Gas Bottles have you been able to EASILY purchase at locations convenient for boaters ( South Coast)

What gas bottles could you replace on foot from popular marinas / anchorages

• Calor 4.5 Butane

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Calor 3.9 Propane

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Camping Gaz 907

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Flogas ( or other to fit 27mm regulator)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

lustyd

Visit site
Agree, I don't buy a drink in pubs charging £10/pint. The difference is that with pubs and beer I have choice. With gas, Calor have made it very hard for other suppliers to get a foothold in retail supply, and then used that position to increase prices by artificially controlling supply and availability. We've been in a situation for 3 years now where people are so glad to see a full gas cylinder they'll willingly pay the extortionate prices.
Compare that with France where many supermarkets have racks for all major suppliers, all completely full of full bottles, and gas is considerably cheaper.

ashtead

Visit site
There are generally 907 for sale at Haslar although I recall buying the last one on one occasion . Also other stockists in Gosport . Carrying 2 bottles we don’t seem to run out during a season but always refill when one’s empty but keeping a third seems excessive . Maybe if you have a gas bbq on board the gas goes down a lot quicker ?

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
There are generally 907 for sale at Haslar although I recall buying the last one on one occasion . Also other stockists in Gosport . Carrying 2 bottles we don’t seem to run out during a season but always refill when one’s empty but keeping a third seems excessive . Maybe if you have a gas bbq on board the gas goes down a lot quicker ?
Depends on where you are sailing and the distance from the nearest supplier. Friends who did the Northwest Passage a few years back had some interesting stories to tell about fuel, gas and stores.

No bbq on-board my boat. Not a fan of them, perhaps too many burnt outer/raw inner sausages as a Scout after canoeing across the loch.

My MrD slow cooker gets well used.

rotrax

Visit site
I posted recently about refilling my two 3.9 propane Calor bottles from a Calor 15 kilo cylinder. Should work out at £12.00 per refill, assuming I can get all the gas out of the 15 kilo cylinder.

Just had a week on the boat using my first refill, all going well.

I shall not be ripped off again.

Calor are taking the piss.

IMHO, of course.......................................... ;)

deeb

Visit site
Would you have a link for that, and some instructions for the safe refill of 907s from 47kg propane containers. I imagine this has been done to death elsewhere so apologies, and please bear with me.... My thanks
The refill kits (example below) are now less than the cost of one 907 refill so payback would be after a couple of refills if you already have a larger butane or propane cylinder
1687721188067.png

Momac

Visit site
Would you have a link for that, and some instructions for the safe refill of 907s from 47kg propane containers. I imagine this has been done to death elsewhere so apologies, and please bear with me.... My thanks
Just search on ebay as there are many sources of kits. I have not refilled my own cylinders but it is tempting to do so .
To be honest I am not sure propane should be used in a campingaz cylinder despite the availability of the kit.
The gas used is Butane.
Similar kit for transfer of Butane is available .
The campingaz cylinder must not be over filled.

Stemar

Visit site
I'm fortunate in that Jazzcat has a transom locker that's already vented at the bottom and is high enough to take 7kg Calor gas bottle. I swapped one of my 4.5 KG empties for one for £40 at SOCAL in Southampton, who look to have a good stock.

The alternative for those without space for a bigger bottle is the CG 907 with 2.7kg of gas for £47! :mad::eek::mad::eek:

Oh, but you haven't got a CG bottle, Sir, so that'll be another £40! o_O

In fairness to SOCAL, the guy there was as pissed off about the whole business as me.

Minchsailor

Visit site
I'm fortunate in that Jazzcat has a transom locker that's already vented at the bottom and is high enough to take 7kg Calor gas bottle. I swapped one of my 4.5 KG empties for one for £40 at SOCAL in Southampton, who look to have a good stock.

The alternative for those without space for a bigger bottle is the CG 907 with 2.7kg of gas for £47! :mad::eek::mad::eek:

Oh, but you haven't got a CG bottle, Sir, so that'll be another £40! o_O

In fairness to SOCAL, the guy there was as pissed off about the whole business as me.
I am fed up with being held hostage to Calor. They seem to be exhibiting appalling corporate behaviour. Just do not want to do business with them.

Switching to Flogas, although it will doubtless inconvenience me.

lustyd

Visit site
I've not felt inconvenienced, quite the opposite since they delivered both bottles to my house while I was out! I also no longer need a special sized spanner to remove the proprietary regulator as with Calor, I just unclip the standard regulator that everyone on the planet seems to use.
I can't just pop in to a marina and swap a bottle with FloGas, but it was 2019 when I was last able to do that with Calor anyway, the difference is that FloGas are available somewhere while Calor were not!

Minchsailor

Visit site
I can't just pop in to a marina and swap a bottle with FloGas, but it was 2019 when I was last able to do that with Calor anyway, the difference is that FloGas are available somewhere while Calor were not!

That may be so for you South Coast guys, but for those of us who are but more far flung, it is not quite that simple.

However the saga deepens. Today visited my local (to home) Flogas depot - Hailsham, E Sussex. Managed to swap a tatty empty 3.9Kg propane bottle, bought off Friday-Ad for 20 quid, for a nice full shiny red one.

Got chatting to the guy; mentioned 4.5Kg butane and was told that they hadn't had any 'for months' and that Flowgas 'were no longer' supplying them. Don't know how general this is, but it does put a rather difference perspective on things. Agreed with me that the whole situation is a shambles.

More information needed.

lustyd

Visit site
Got chatting to the guy; mentioned 4.5Kg butane and was told that they hadn't had any 'for months' and that Flowgas 'were no longer' supplying them. Don't know how general this is, but it does put a rather difference perspective on things. Agreed with me that the whole situation is a shambles.
So far we've not had any reports of people not getting one from FG so for now I'm happy to assume they're just swamped with demand. At the very least, FloGas do fill your empty if they need to at a depot, whereas Calor refused to let people in the depots towards the end

Whaup367

Visit site
That may be so for you South Coast guys, but for those of us who are but more far flung, it is not quite that simple.

However the saga deepens. Today visited my local (to home) Flogas depot - Hailsham, E Sussex. Managed to swap a tatty empty 3.9Kg propane bottle, bought off Friday-Ad for 20 quid, for a nice full shiny red one.

More information needed.
Several of the Argyll yards seem to be stocking Flogas 4.5s alongside their other Calor sizes. Tarbert, Ardfern & Croabh, at least, have mustard coloured butane stubbies alongside the usual red & blue cylinders in bigger sizes.
Given how thin Flogas stockists seem to be (Oban/Portree/Glasgow/Stornoway?), this seems helpful for those who are limited to this size.
Don't know about cost comparisons- I use the next size up where Flogas appear to be about 25% more expensive than Calor, as well as more difficult to source. Not made it north of Ardnamurchan yet this season.

HTH,
W.

Momac

Visit site
At the weekend we called in at a large caravan/motorhome retailer where we have bought refills many times.
They had no bottle gas at all which is no doubt seasonal demand.

Fortunately we were able to buy a refill at the marina.