What fluid is inside a raymarine fluxgate compass?

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I've just looked it up, and the coils of a fluxgate compass are gimballed to ensure it senses the horizontal component of the Earth's magnetic field, and the fluid has the same damping effect as in a conventional compass except that the sensor does not rotate. I'm afraid the only answer has to be, ask Raymarine! The wrong fluid might attack insulation at worst.

I was surprised - I too expected that there would be no need for fluid.

earlybird

Visit site
I've just looked it up, and the coils of a fluxgate compass are gimballed to ensure it senses the horizontal component of the Earth's magnetic field, and the fluid has the same damping effect as in a conventional compass except that the sensor does not rotate.
Are you sure? That's not my understanding of the Raymarine fluxgate sensor. It will rattle if shaken, but that's normal, not a sign of lack of damping fluid.

madabouttheboat

Visit site
That’s interesting thanks. This one came as part of a used autopilot I picked up. The fluxgate was wrapped in bubble wrap and there was lots of light oil all over it when I unwrapped it. I opened it up and there was evidence of oil inside.

it is branded ‘Raytheon’ so I am guessing it is old and possibly one if the earlier ones mentioned above.

Think it may just be easier to replace it. There is a good chance it’s US anyway, but thought I may as well try it.

Last edited:

coopec

N/A
Visit site
I was perhaps misled by the OP calling it a Raymarine fluxgate.

I just did a google?

Is Raytheon and Raymarine the same company?

Raymarine was originally an independent UK company. Autohelm was a brand name for its autopilots. It was bought by Raytheon, and became a subsidiary. A few years ago, there was a buyout and the company became independent again and reverted to the Raymarine brand name.

pvb

Visit site
Raymarine was originally an independent UK company. Autohelm was a brand name for its autopilots. It was bought by Raytheon, and became a subsidiary. A few years ago, there was a buyout and the company became independent again and reverted to the Raymarine brand name.

It would be difficult for you to have got that more wrong!

Raymarine was originally formed in 1923 as a division of the American defence company Raytheon. Autohelm was a brand name of Nautech, an independent UK company. In 1990, Raytheon bought Nautech. Raymarine as we know it today was the subject of a management buy-out in 2001. It went into administration in 2010 and was bought by FLIR Systems.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
It would be difficult for you to have got that more wrong!

Raymarine was originally formed in 1923 as a division of the American defence company Raytheon. Autohelm was a brand name of Nautech, an independent UK company. In 1990, Raytheon bought Nautech. Raymarine as we know it today was the subject of a management buy-out in 2001. It went into administration in 2010 and was bought by FLIR Systems.

Not surprised you have selectively quoted me.

If you object to what I have quoted maybe you should take it up with Mr Google:sleep:

William_H

Visit site
That’s interesting thanks. This one came as part of a used autopilot I picked up. The fluxgate was wrapped in bubble wrap and there was lots of light oil all over it when I unwrapped it. I opened it up and there was evidence of oil inside.

it is branded ‘Raytheon’ so I am guessing it is old and possibly one if the earlier ones mentioned above.

Think it may just be easier to replace it. There is a good chance it’s US anyway, but thought I may as well try it.
Just give the flux gate a try, oil or not it should not make much difference. ol'will

pvb

Visit site
If you object to what I have quoted maybe you should take it up with Mr Google:sleep:

I wasn't objecting, merely correcting you.

There are too many people on the forum who simply take the first thing they find on Google and treat it as gospel. It isn't, necessarily.

VicS

Visit site
Is there any other sort of paraffin?
The term "liquid paraffin" usually refers to medicinal liquid paraffin ........ the stuff you drink for treating your constipation., rather than the paraffin or kerosene you put in your oil lamps, Primus stoves etc

Last edited: