What electric windlass to replace a Lofrans Royal?

Babylon

Visit site
For your kedge, second anchor, I'd suggest considering a Fortress. You can disassemble, or store relatively flat and if you need to use it in anger, say from a dinghy, its seriously light. The FX 23 would be about the right size.

I might suggest the Maxwell RC8 - 8 (which is in the Vetus camp). I believe Maxwell have been investing effort in making their windlass more quiet - but have no update on whether this is significant.

Thx for this input.

I have the smaller 3.2kg Fortress kedge on my 27 footer, which stows conveniently in a cockpit locker, so the 6.8kg would be the same ideal solution here. (The 32 footer's Bruce and Fisherman's plus their chains are both in the V-berth's deep lockers, adding weight where it isn't wanted and taking up space where sail-bags ought to go! I do wonder if they've ever been deployed in the decades they've been aboard?!)

I do like the low profile of the Maxwell RC8 and the fact that it takes both chain and octoplait. This is very similar to the Quick Aleph 700W I fitted ten years ago on my 27 footer which I've been very pleased with. I see that Quick do the 1000W Prince DP3 for slightly less money than the Maxwell... I assume the spec and quality is comparable?

As suggested by Tranona - and it needs underlining .... disassemble windlass, remove all the bolts, coat every single one of them with Duralac and rebuild. This will help you learn how to service the windlass and coating the bolts will extend life of the windlass (and reduce opportunity for you to curse said item). The most common issue with windlass is bolt corrosion, followed by a lack of servicing.

Yes, thank you both!

Sea Change

Visit site
I switched from a Royale to a Tigres, and I can confirm that while they look similar, the Tigres has a bigger footprint. It's a good windlass, very happy with it.
The Royale was a pain. Too slow to be of much use.

cpedw

Visit site
Not a good idea. It may be stainless but it is a poor product. The motor of mine lasted only 5 years of light use (maybe 250 deployments). It is however easy to take apart and repair. The Lofrans is in a different league altogether.
My experience with the Lofrans has been entirely satisfactory over 8 years, probably 500-1000 anchoring events; I haven't bothered to count them.