What does "to tide" mean (archaic?)

A

Anonymous

What does \"to tide\" mean (archaic?)

In his book 'Post Captain', Patrick O'Brian refers to a ship that, becalmed, had to "tide" up the Channel. I'm guessing that this means anchoring during foul tides and drifting during fair. Is that correct?

oldharry

Visit site
Re: What does \"to tide\" mean (archaic?)

Sounds reasonable, but wouldnt know for certain. I was taught that when someone has e.g. money to 'tide them over' it derived from the sense of using the tide to lift a vessel over a shallow patch.

Sounds the same sort of root?

trev

Visit site

I believe the practise was to wait for the incoming tide to swing the ship, then just weigh the anchor clear of the seabed. The ship was then drifted astern using the anchor as a brake. Usually a long boat (or two) was put onto the stern to help the ship along and make some attempt at steering.

A

Anonymous

The context was 'tideing' up the English Channel so it must have taken some time. Not a bad idea and a darned sight more appropriate than calling a lifeboat when becalmed! A yacht would probably use its kedge, if there is enough rode, I imagine.

Benbow

Visit site

I have an idea (from where I have no idea) that using an anchor on a very short lead like this to allow progress while keeping the head uptide or upwind is known as drudging. Pesumably related to the word drudgery.

DavidMcMullan

Visit site

In 'The Oxford Companion to Ships and the Sea', it defines Tiding Over as follows:
an old expression to describe the method of working the tides, in the days of square-rigged ships, to make progress against a contrary wind, especially with reference to the English Channel where the prevailing wind, being south-westerly, is foul for ships proceeding down Channel. It involved anchoring during the flood, or east-running tide, weighing anchor at high water and beating to windward, relying on the strength of the ebb, or west-running tide to carry the ship in the required direction. When the tide turned, the ship anchored again until the next high water, when the process repeated.

Fitting them with an engine may have made better progress !!
David.

A

Anonymous

Thank you David, the definitive answer! This reference was specifically in relation to a vessel that was becalmed so presumably they used the term for both cases (seems unlikely that O'Brian didn't do his research properly).

David

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com

Drudging is a term used in the Bristol Channel to get a free trip with the tide.

During my Yachtmaster test, I suffered an "engine failure" (induced by the examiner) leaving Chichester harbour against the tide and drudged back to safety. I think that swung the pass mark (i.e. countered all the mistakes).

I believe a weight was used in Bristol Channel barges. Anybody who has sailed in these waters will know just how effective this would be.