What do you wear?

BACUS

Visit site
If you were doing a long passage single handed in winter would you live in a dry suit as a safty back up with standard
Weather gear on top or not worth the aggro.
Your ideas and experience would be welcome
Regards
Bacus

PacketRat

Visit site
Somebody gave me a one piece nylon suit with neoprene between the inner and outer linings. I lived in it for a two day run out to the Isle of Man and back to Liverpool. After setting off, the forecast turned to Northerly gales so when I got there I turned round and came back again. This was in December. The temperature was sub zero at times with sleet and hail. The under layer was, basically, everything else. I can't say I was exactly comfortable, but considering the conditions it was brilliant. I don't have a lot of experience but being waterproof with lots of insulation worked for me on that occasion.
Regards, Robin.

oldbilbo

Visit site
Living in, or with, a drysuit takes a bit of getting used to..... and some knowledge of how to look after the crucial seals and zips. One should bear in mind the types of folk who work in drysuits - RN/RAF aircrew, RNLI crews, rescue and oil platform support helo crews, SBS wallahs and the occasional young Sean Connery in his Dr No ( ? ) filming.

Having lived/worked in heavy, near-rigid early models made by the Liverpool Co called 'Frankenstein' ( true ! ), I view today's lightweight and well-equipped products as almost luxurious. I'd certainly wear one if singlehanded, in deteriorated weather..... and I'd keep the conventional jacket and hi-fit trousers for gentler conditions. Mind you, slipping an XL conventional jacket on over the d/suit would protect some of the vulnerable bits from snagging and wear/tear, as well as cutting down on the wind-chill heat loss.

'Every little helps.....'

Pye_End

Visit site
I start with Roger Taylor's attitude to being in the cold fresh air - stay down below as much as you can, but preferably also running a heater.

oldbilbo

Visit site
I start with Roger Taylor's attitude to being in the cold fresh air - stay down below as much as you can, but preferably also running a heater.

I understand that carpet slippers are de rigeur on MingMing..... ;)

Myself? I carry ex-Royal Marines Arctic Tent Boots to keep my tootsies warm - when it's dry. Quite cheap from 'surplus stores'.

tentboots2.jpg

You'll find those - and lots more to keep you warm as toast - in here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92407

Pye_End

Visit site
An interesting link. Thinking I would at last find some nice warm slippers with some grip for varnished boards down below, instead ended up tempted to buy an ex-army APC, or some classic landrovers. Unfortunately one expensive hobby is enough.