What do you know about Trieste

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
What do you know about Trieste Italy? it looks very much like I will be buying a sailing boat from there, part of the deal is I can use the existing owners berth for a few months is this a good area to sail, where could I go to from here that could be entertaining for this period

I have heard good reports about Monfalcone, New yacht has a draught of 2.5m

alexsailor

Visit site
Trieste- lovely city, many places to drink coffee...,
Sail to Sistiana/Portopiccolo, Grado or Slovenia: Piran, Izola...
Even Venezia is not so far away.

It can be windy when Bora (NE) is furious...

grumpygit

Visit site
We were in Hannibal yard, Monfalcone for two years. Probably all of which one needs but in our time (2007/9) expensive. €6k+ p.a. plus haul and splash. It is isolated if you are without transport and the summer you are in the middle of swamp land so look out for the biting devils, their more abundant than you will wish for.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
We were in Hannibal yard, Monfalcone for two years. Probably all of which one needs but in our time (2007/9) expensive. €6k+ p.a. plus haul and splash. It is isolated if you are without transport and the summer you are in the middle of swamp land so look out for the biting devils, their more abundant than you will wish for.

To be honest,The Italians seem very expensive for everything I have asked them.

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
Lucian, forum name Metabarca, is your man, based in Trieste.

The Italian lagoons of NE Italy have their charm, especially the harbour of Grado, and Venice is only a day's sail away, as is the Istrian coast of Croatia.

As for costs, my marina in the Laguna di Marano, circa 25 nm SW from Trieste, is not expensive compared to the west coast of Italy. I posted the berth costs in another thread here.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site

The Italian lagoons of NE Italy have their charm, especially the harbour of Grado, and Venice is only a day's sail away, as is the Istrian coast of Croatia.

As for costs, my marina in the Laguna di Marano, circa 25 nm SW from Trieste, is not expensive compared to the west coast of Italy. I posted the berth costs in another thread here.

We took Barnacle's advice and visited the Marano Lagoon on our cruise from Croatia to Venice and back. It was our first visit to the Italian lagoons so the first thing I would say is to read up on the lagoon pilotage. We didn't and ended up grounded in the mud on our first attempt to get into Marano past Lignano and we only draw 1m .... great entertainment for all the local boats which understand what the wooden posts, each with a seagull sitting on the top, are supposed to be telling you.

This is how close you have to get to the shore by the Marina Punta Faro if you want to avoid the shallows at low tide. One post in shot!

IMG_4334.JPG

The mozzies are horrendous. When I went out on deck the following morning, the decks and sail covers were black with dozing mozzies waiting for the sun to warm things up. As we set off to leave the lagoon, following the correct side of the posts, they started to wake up and take off but they stayed with the boat so we were motoring along with this black cloud surrounding us. Some of them even hitched a ride all the way to Venice .... visiting long-distant relatives I assume?

Richard

Last edited:

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
We took Barnacle's advice and visited the Marano Lagoon on our cruise from Croatia to Venice and back. It was our first visit to the Italian lagoons so the first thing I would say is to read up on the lagoon pilotage. We didn't and ended up grounded in the mud on our first attempt to get into Marano past Lignano and we only draw 1m .... great entertainment for all the local boats which understand what the wooden posts, each with a seagull sitting on the top, are supposed to be telling you.

This is how close you have to get to the shore by the Marina Punta Faro if you want to avoid the shallows at low tide. One post in shot!

IMG_4334.JPG

The mozzies are horrendous. When I went out on deck the following morning, the decks and sail covers were black with dozing mozzies waiting for the sun to warm things up. As we set off to leave the lagoon, following the correct side of the posts, they started to wake up and take off but they stayed with the boat so we were motoring along with this black cloud surrounding us. Some of them even hitched a ride all the way to Venice .... visiting long-distant relatives I assume?

Richard

Oh! heck, I have made an offer on a boat with a draft of 2.5meters

Mr Cassandra

Visit site

Hopefuly he will spot this thread ,I do not seem to have seen him about for a while.
Thanks

Metabarca

Visit site
Here I am, hi! So, west of Monfalcone, all is mud and sand. The lagoons are not really practicable for pottering around in a sailing boat (I draw 1.8m), although there are a couple of dredged channels leading inland. You can just get into the lagoon at porta Anfora where there's a restaurant on a deserted island. Don't try going from Grado to Lignano via the lagoon, though! Grado itself is well worth a visit, and there are two marinas you can berth in (I recommend the one by the road bridge), or you tie up right in the middle of town stern-to. This last can be noisy, however; but if you go on a Saturday, you can moor outside the fish market halfway along the canal, which is quiet and central. While here, don't miss a visit to Aquileia: the basilica has the largest late-Roman floor mosaic in Western Europe and lots of Roman bits (it was Rome's third city in Italy. Also one of the first towns to become Christian). St Mark allegedly landed near here (gps fix available if you want!)
Venice is obviously a draw, but I've never sailed there.
For a day's sail from Trieste, you can turn right towards the castles of Miramare (stay outside the buoyed area) and Duino, to drop the hook for a swim. Going left, another swimming anchorage is off Punta Sottile next to the border with Slovenia. Overnight stays in Piran and Izola well worth it (Izola is less 'polished'). But also Capodistria (Koper): the old town is attractive and Kapra by the water's edge serves great food at a good price.
Once you go beyond, you have to deal with Croatian bureaucracy, so we're talking at least two-three day sails. You have to enter the country at Umago, cough up, get your passport stamped, etc. Out of season, Cittanova (Novigrad) is ok, but the jewels are Parenzo (Porec) and Rovigno (Rovinj).
As for Trieste itself, as mentioned, coffee is everywhere, and it's the best in Europe (so says the Economist!). Food is a mix of Mediterranean, Germanic and Slav. Don't miss the 'buffets', our version of Macdonalds: ham sliced off the joint, fresh horseradish and a glass of wine.
Trieste is very much a sailing town; you'll see virtually no mobos in the town marinas, but the irony is that there's often too much wind or too little. But lots of regattas and a fair number of national and world champions in various classes.
More, if required!

Last edited:

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Here I am, hi! So, west of Monfalcone, all is mud and sand. The lagoons are not really practicable for pottering around in a sailing boat (I draw 1.8m), although there are a couple of dredged channels leading inland. You can just get into the lagoon at porta Anfora where there's a restaurant on a deserted island. Don't try going from Grado to Lignano via the lagoon, though! Grado itself is well worth a visit, and there are two marinas you can berth in (I recommend the one by the road bridge), or you tie up right in the middle of town stern-to. This last can be noisy, however; but if you go on a Saturday, you can moor outside the fish market halfway along the canal, which is quiet and central. While here, don't miss a visit to Aquileia: the basilica has the largest late-Roman floor mosaic in Western Europe and lots of Roman bits (it was Rome's third city in Italy. Also one of the first towns to become Christian). St Mark allegedly landed near here (gps fix available if you want!)
Venice is obviously a draw, but I've never sailed there.
For a day's sail from Trieste, you can turn right towards the castles of Miramare (stay outside the buoyed area) and Duino, to drop the hook for a swim. Going left, another swimming anchorage is off Punta Sottile next to the border with Slovenia. Overnight stays in Piran and Izola well worth it (Izola is less 'polished'). But also Capodistria (Koper): the old town is attractive and Kapra by the water's edge serves great food at a good price.
Once you go beyond, you have to deal with Croatian bureaucracy, so we're talking at least two-three day sails. You have to enter the country at Umago, cough up, get your passport stamped, etc. Out of season, Cittanova (Novigrad) is ok, but the jewels are Parenzo (Porec) and Rovigno (Rovinj).
As for Trieste itself, as mentioned, coffee is everywhere, and it's the best in Europe (so says the Economist!). Food is a mix of Mediterranean, Germanic and Slav. Don't miss the 'buffets', our version of Macdonalds: ham sliced off the joint, fresh horseradish and a glass of wine.
Trieste is very much a sailing town; you'll see virtually no mobos in the town marinas, but the irony is that there's often too much wind or too little. But lots of regattas and a fair number of national and world champions in various classes.
More, if required!

Fantastic response, Thank you

Metabarca

Visit site
If you're moored in a club, there will always be someone to keep any eye open if the bora starts to blow. Not usually a problem in summer, but last week it peaked at 130 kph...! A mooring downwind of the jetty will assure you a good night's sleep! If you need a good mechanic or advice as to chandleries, let me know.
http://www.triesteallnews.it/wp-content/images/2015/02/image-800x585.jpg

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
If you're moored in a club, there will always be someone to keep an eye open if the bora starts to blow. Not usually a problem in summer, but last week it peaked at 130 kph...! A mooring downwind of the jetty will assure you a good night's sleep! If you need a good mechanic or advice as to chandleries, let me know.
http://www.triesteallnews.it/wp-content/images/2015/02/image-800x585.jpg

I ask the broker was I able to carry out my own repairs on the hard in the yard, He said no. Is this the norm?
I will need to install a Raymarine ACU400 autopilot, compass and V70 with type 2 linear drive, linked in to a Raymarine es series 12" hybridtouch Multi functional display ploter and stand alone AIS transmiter receiver.

Last edited:

Metabarca

Visit site
It depends where you are, I think. If you're in one of the town's clubs, there is very little space on the hard: perhaps five or six boats, so you can haul yours out only for very few days. But what you do when on the hard is your own affair, as far as I know (barring washing antifoul into the sea or paint onto your neighbours, of course). What many of us do is take our boats to a commercial marina in Monfalcone or Muggia, where there is much more space, if we plan on doing things on a longer timescale. In Monfalcone, these include Nautec and Ocean, both recommended, used in the past by forumites, and clse to the airport. Or Barnac1e's marina, Hannibal, which is a bit more expensive but in nicer surroundings.