What courses to take?

ianainge

Visit site
All of my experience has been on inland waterways with single shaft driven boats, now im venturing on to the Solent and surrounding areas with twin outdrives its a whole new ball game can anyone recommend suitable courses to take and if any recommendations with whom.?

rogerroger

www.myboatdetails.com
Are you suggesting someone put to sea (in the Solent of all places) without knowledge of tides, wind, weather, fog, varying depths, rules of the road re: ferries, container ships, jet skis etc, racing fleets, safety / urgency /distress, coastal navigation, VHF procedure etc etc etc

Personally I don't think anyone should go to sea in a sail or power boat without such knowledge.

I'd have thought a Day Skipper Power course would be a sensible place to start.

Roger Holden
www.first-magnitude.co.uk

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
No courses neccessary, why start a new trend for stinkies. Just 3 golden rules;

1 Keep out of the way of raggies
2 Keep out of the way of raggies
3 Keep out of the way of raggies

To brush up, use the latest edition of "Evasion & Avoidance" by Osama b L.

(Quick Ethel run for cover, there's a whole possy of stinkies comin over that there wave. Oh sh** too late they are here!)

ari

Visit site
Would recommend the RYA International Certificate of Competence. Covers pretty much everything you'd need to get going.

Did you buy the Targa 31 then, and if so which one in the end?

Ari

ianainge

Visit site
Thanks for the offer Matt, i might take you up on that ihave done day skipper shorebased so when it comes to navi ive got the background. not yet ari ive put an offer in privatly for original on with iffy history , guy on holidays for a week just awaiting answer.

ari

Visit site
Good luck with the offer!

What happened to the broker, thought you were doing this one through Peters or Ancasta or someone?

Ari

peterg

Visit site
courses etc.

I would do either Powerboat Level I & II or Day Skipper Practical and then play around a bit in sheltered water to get to know the boat before venturing out further than Nab Tower/Needles.

List of Sea Schools at www.nfss.co.uk - we used Peter White of Seafever about 5-6 years ago and enjoyed it but BarryD said he's a bit expensive (can't remember as someone else paid for us) - BarryD was going to use Tom Gregory so you might want to ask him for contact details.....

Just ignore anything with a sail as they're not fast enough to catch you if you p*ss them off anyway!

BarryD

Visit site
Re: courses etc.

Horses for course - the RYA Powerboat 2 covers a lot of boat control in tides (ferry gliding etc..) and turning the boat in tight spaces. There is a large theory element on effects of tides etc.. and you also get an ICC.

Peter White of Seafever sounds ideal but he is pretty expensive (what price safety?) I'm using Tom Gregory but the chap I've got from him is more used to big ribs than cruisers.

Sea V. River obviously more to know about in terms of Right of Way and channel markers etc.. but a general rules would be get out of the way of anything bigger, let the rag and stick types go first (but don't leave the marked channel), and don't go anywhere without a good look at the map first.

For the first couple of months I only intend to stay in Chichester Harbour and not go over the bar. Until I'm really happy with my abilities. My revised training is on the 7th and 8th - I'll post more info on what I learnt and it's value then.

Barry D

peterg

Visit site
oooh get you...

bring one boat round from Essex girl territory and now you're quoting like an expert!

You still haven't got the full 'boat habit' yet as anyone else wouldn't have bought two blimming cars at the weekend, they would have sold the first boat and moved up to something much better, like a Nimbus 31 p'raps? ;-)>

BarryD

Visit site
Re: oooh get you...

Nimbus, ahh yes the ACM clone (or vice versa). Seriously Peter you'd have been a bit cheesed off if we'd sunk "Polar Bare" due to stupidity? Back to one season in MVII and then we buy something bigger - not my fault you're selling it a year to early!

Also sorry to sound like a pro - just parroting back the tutor <G>

Barry D

tcm

Visit site
The Matts Guide To Getting Free Boatie Help

Lots of boaties have lots and lots of experience. And, since they are enthusiasts, they know lots about their subject. On this BB alone, people have been on several man-centuries of courses. This doesn't mean that courses are no good. But imho it DOES mean that there's even more advice to be had informally than there is from just "doing a course".

Further, some of the instructors are good, some not so good. I'm told that plenty of solenty instructors "convert" to allow powerboat instruction. Don't expect many of these to have much clue about what to expect in the Med, for example, or anytghing much to do with fixing the tons of weird stuff you find on a Fairline targa. No mast, see? Much more help from all those hereabouts. And so on.

1. make sure that you are the host with the most. This means having lots of drinks. Invent celebrations ("we've just fixed the bog!") to invite people along. This is good fun . And, getting them really slaughtered means that they can't remeber how badly behaved they were, so they're somehow indebted to you.

2. Be jolly helpful. As people come alongside, be ready to take lines, but ASK "dya want me to take lines?" cos some people don't want you to take lines. And all that.

3. Now, having nearly sort-of made some friends, consult them. They love it! Yakking about being about to go out is only just less fun than doing in, sometimes actually more fun. cos it's raining out there, not here.

4 Example of above. " Hi, yes we're going out too - We're planning to go down to XYZ marina with the tide, I think, just after lunch about 2o'clock and see if we can find somehwere to eat out". You can be sure of loads of useful advice: if there's a better route, or if XYZ is crap, or if there's a fab restaurant, or if of course the tide runs better at 1 or 3pm they'll tell you straightaway. Some years ago, a chap put me onto the fact that the George in Yarmouth has loads of ridiculously cheap vintage wine, very useful advice, or at least it wa then, but er it's all gone now ahem. BUT at least you see the point.

KevB

Visit site
Can someone tell me what course I should take also. Boated in my own boat all last season, know the basics and want to go to France this season.

Thanks

longjohnsilver

Visit site
ICC

ICC recommended for France (although not actually needed!) so why not do that, then find someone to go across with you for the first time. You might just find a few volunteers here!!

tcm

Visit site
Re: me me

Oho. I have vast experience of nipping into french marinas during lunchtime or after 7pm, tying up and running off v quickly. Plus clean licence (no tea spilled on it, see)

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Queue

Meant to say form an orderly queue, all behind me! Mebbe he needs a large crew for first trip, sure we can oblige.