What courses to take?

tcm

Visit site
Re: Front of queue

Ooh I can help there, and come along! With erm (ooh!) portable vhf x 3 and portable gps x 2 and lifejackets (g'teed not from Compass) and michelin guide. Can't think wot else needed. ooh yes some charts, some of them even of the right places.

BarryD

Visit site
Re: Queue

Well I might be able to help in some small way, if I don't sink anything (self included) next week I'll even have an ICC. Could take MVII as a support vessel if someone could drop a fuel barge in the channel, and you don't mind running at 17kts!

Barry D

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Get back in line!

Suppose you've collected vhf's from ipc, what doya want 3 for? spose if you had one more each member of the family could have one and you could all talk together.

Not only queue jumping but now you're fred jumping!

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Underwater vhf

That must be really useful, must get one of those!

Message to surface, put the kettle on, bring the pot to the boil and break open the Pouilly Fouse, lobster on it's way - over.

tcm

Visit site
Re: wine course needed, tsk.

ooh no not a Pouilly-Fusée with lobster, dearie me, need a nice Alsace, pinot gris or perhaps a white Rhône.

See, I'm much better qualified! Sort-of, er anyway...

hlb

RIP
Visit site
The Course for France is South. Cant think any other course will do! Anyway theres nothing in the middle except sea, so cant make any mistakes. When you want to come back, go north. Dont mix up the two, or you will be coming and going, without getting there. Have I missed anything!

Haydn

KevB

Visit site
Re: me me

Ok, lets make a date then. How about a quick trip to Cherboug to run the new boat in?
All those in favour say - LLANFAIRPWLLGWYNGYLLGOGERYCHWYRNDROBWLLLLANTYSILIOGOGOGOCH

tcm

Visit site
Re: cheap one is fine

in mags, everyone goes urg this is a bit difficult to twiddle with, and that one is not crisp etc etc. BUT in real fog, you don't give a toss. If it works, it'll be fine.

Best to make sure they get run up each time you're out, so when needed it's all familiar, and nicely set up with the gain and other physicsy things, and knowing that for a good pic u may need trim tabs to move the nose down. Also quite good fun to see if you can count the seagulls at the stern from looking at the radar.

In axshul fog, offshore, you don't have to teeter along any slower than the distance in which yuo can see to crash stop/turn for a big lobster pot/obstacle - going at reasonable speed shows movement and direction of others more clearly on the radar, but dead slow it all looks a bit scary as they come at you. And of course, u turn to port.....