what coating

G

i am having a bathing platform made in stainless steel, and intend to use mahogany for the slats. can anyone advise as to the best type of coating for these, as i think varnish would be too slippery, and would also not last very long.
i had thought about using sadolin, but i am not too sure of how it would last.
thanks

steve

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
I have just re-decked the bathing platform on my boat with Iroko. I intend to give it an annual dressing of raw linseed or teak oil and let it weather naturally to silver grey and not bother varnishing as seems too much like hard work and the rougher wood surface better for grip anyway.
Incidentally, Howells at Poole cut the slats to size and surface grooved them and delivered ready to srew into place at a very reasonabele price. They also suggested above routine.

TonyR
boatone@boatsontheweb.com
www.boatsonthethames.co.uk

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site
Re: what coating slip up

If you coat the wood in order to protect it you will end up with a slippery surface.
Unless you were to use an anti-slip product. Agree with previous posting better to leave unprotected take a look at Marina jetties wood is also grooved for grip. I for one would not appreciate jumping off my yacht onto a varnished pontoon which is very often wet.

Happy Bathing,
Trevor

Chris_Stannard

Visit site
Suggest you use teak for the slats. It can be left untreated and gives good antislip properties, which is why it is used for decks. If you can get to Cowes try Clare Lallows, who use lots of it and who may have off cuts that will be big enough.