What boat would you pick...

doug748

Visit site
"What about one of the J boats? They look fun."

J109 would do you nicely. Not lavish below decks but workable and a very different machine to your Moody. Drawback is the 7ft keel but it is lead, as you would expect. Plus you would probably need to up the budget by 50% , prices are rising for boats that are getting on in age and you can be certain have been raced at some point.

Elan 333 is a nice boat below decks (in the old style) and a very good performer. Lead keel again, which is the touchstone but you might find the lack of space a turn off after the 39:

1998-elan-333-for-sale-8363298-1.jpg

Both have plenty of ballast which suits small crews I think.

westhinder

Visit site
I couldn’t possibly disagree with Tranona’s suggestion of a Starlight 35. Try to find one of the later examples, built by Rival Bowman. Very well built with quality interior and very rewarding to sail.
As it is a hypothetical question, or at least a longer term prospect, why not look out for an XC 38?

mrming

instagram.com
As some lighter boats are being discussed, the MG 335 / 346s sail very well and have good accommodation. It’s difficult to find them in good condition but they do exist. The same is true of the SJ320, which is a surprisingly big boat inside for its size. The Dehler 36 suggested up thread is also a great shout, although they’re smaller inside than you might expect for the length.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
I couldn’t possibly disagree with Tranona’s suggestion of a Starlight 35. Try to find one of the later examples, built by Rival Bowman. Very well built with quality interior and very rewarding to sail.
As it is a hypothetical question, or at least a longer term prospect, why not look out for an XC 38?
For a similar reason I would have to recommend a Scanyacht 391 (Scanner 391 in Europe).

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Woods Mira or Flicka (same hulls, different bridgedecks) if you wanted to look at cats. Anything smaller wouldn’t carry blue water loads. They are 35 footers. Easier to sail than some of the cruiser/racers from the 1980s, which were mostly designed for hot bunking when racing. However, I appreciate they’re not everyone’s cup of tea.

doris

Visit site
Disclaimer: this is almost entirely hypothetical. I have neither the inclination nor budget to change boat at the moment. But it's fun to think ahead a little.

The brief: big enough for a couple with one guest cabin. Full time bluewater liveaboard. Relatively limited budget (say £50k but given this is hypothetical, could extend that, but not up to anything eyewatering).

Our current boat is a tubby old thing, 39ft Moody from 1978, and has more than enough space for three, with decent trade winds sailing performance. We'll probably keep her once the cabin boy has flown the nest, but if we don't, the next boat should be:
- smaller, in the region of 34-35ft.
- nicer/newer (more wood, less formica!)
- better in light airs
- better under sail in general. Good cockpit layout, quality deck hardware.

Ideally I'm looking for something that is fun to chuck around under sail, like a big dinghy. Lower freeboard for easier picking up moorings under sail. Very open to the idea of a tiller.

Over to the panel...
A friend sold his Dehler 36 a few months ago for about £70 k. Slighly over budget but covers all bases. Modern design, very decent in light airs, two proper cabins etc etc.

westhinder

Visit site
Love the "ready for new owner with new energy and priced accordingly" which might explain why the asking price is 60% less than a sister ship lower down on the page.

Does not look too bad in the photos so maybe something seriously wrong rather than just a bit tired.
There is 12 years difference between the two boats and the interior finish of the Rival Bowman built Starlights is a couple of notches higher than the Sadler built ones. But I agree an asking price of £45,000 might indicate that there is some serious work to be done

OrmerPuffin

Visit site
I didn’t know that. Still one of my faves.
We've just bought a Maxi 1100 that has had additional tankage added in the form of bladders, and has been fitted with a (now defunct) water maker so there are definitely ways to up the tankage on them to suit longer distance cruising if desired.

Tranona

Visit site
Nice boat good price but really a shrunken version of the OPs existing boat but with nicer woodwork rather than the sporty performance cruiser he had in mind. Some of the teak deck looks a bit dodgy!

Kelpie

Visit site
Yes, Najad's are gorgeous but probably not quite what I'd be looking at.
Thanks for all the suggestions, lots of food for thought (and plenty of time to digest it!)