What boat is it.

Judders

Visit site
There is a boat out on the hard at my marina and I can not quite put my finger on what she is, but she always catches my eye.

She's about 25' with a semi-long keel. A late seventies / early eighties coachroof with long but not terribly deep windows.

I thought she might be a Gallion 22 but her coachroof is not so bulbous.

Any ideas?

Noddy

Visit site
From your description I'd say its an Easterly 25.

Its an interesting construction - bamboo laid up in epoxy. One of the first grass / thatch composite boats.

You'll probably find the semi-long keel is made from granite.

Designed by Fred Splungebucket I believe. I think he was inspired by the merging of modern and stone age seafaring principles.

It could even be a static display from the Kemps Quay archeological dig.

Thanks for drawing our attention to it - haven't seen one of those in years.

Hope that helps! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dyflin

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Feeling 720 maybe ?

[/ QUOTE ]

feeling720_1192.jpg

How about the Cobra 750?

h8687-moored-beam.jpg

Saddletramp

Visit site
They were based on a design of a stoneage boat found at stonehenge. None ever actually made it to the coast. Probably due to the granite keel. The one at Kemps is the closest to the sea to date.

The theory was that it would plummet straight to the bottom where it could be used as an artificial reef for divers.

They did not account for the depth of the river Itchen though.

These factors have contributed to keeping the price down, David harding is quoted as saying 'I would rather sail a traction engine'. see PBO no 182 for a full review.

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
The recent edition of "Nautical Archeology Then" once again airs the old dispute of granite keel failure. One camp has produced a lot of evidence of similarities with finds of the Hanse Period in Bavaria, although impressions from digs imply that they were held on with bone pegs, rather than the bronze nails which seem to have been used here.

The Kempsian Inundation could account for the find in question - a discovery of a clam midden close to the boat could be conclusive evidence, especially if it contain shards of blue woad antifoul pots.

Mudplugger

Visit site
I beg to differ....from the details given, it is obviously of an earlier generation. The granite keels coupled with the TWO split cane hulls and the slate foredeck (which doubled as the sacrificial stone) pre-dated both the lack of vestal virgins in the area and an early attempt to thwart the dreaded osmo worm. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Originals circa the 1st century hailed from Souf essex and were responsible for a variety of 20th century look alikes. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Currently have a very similar vessel in a barn near here! The owner has been having a few problems trying to obtain replacement granite for the keels! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif and sufficient slave labour to shape them. Of course, those of us with a more modern approach, have dispensed with the split cane/granite/two hull and used tin instead....the greater carrying capacity, requiring just a single hull for simplicity! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif