What boat do i have for ins. purposes

geardownthreegreens

Visit site
Have just bought a Crownline 230 ccr, which to me is a pocket cruiser,with small basic galley and loo compartment. Craftinsure.com have different prices for either a Motorboat(tidal) or speedboat.
Speedboat is more expensive to insure.

So what class would you put it under guys.Motorboat(tidal) or speedboat, as i think its too big to be classed as a speedboat, but what do i know /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ifraser

Visit site
Usually it is to do with the speed.. whether small speedboat or not... the crossover is usually 17 knots where the premiums go up... so it may be something to do with that but obviously I don't know how all the insurers work... cheers Iain

geardownthreegreens

Visit site
She is i guess, a planing hull. Surely though, a 100ft sunseeker has a planing hull but that wouldn't be classed as a speedboat, would it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Think craftinsure should be more exacting on information required. Should be more like car ins. really,and go on the car itself.

geardownthreegreens

Visit site
I agree with you there. Craftinsure have 2 catagories, motorboat(tidal) and MB(non tidal), the latter i assume say rivers and lakes.
I'll probably insure under MB tidal as its cheaper /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif but i dont blast about like an 18yr old anyway.

AndieMac

Visit site
It may have something to do with probability of the higher risk factor of speed-boats towing skiers etc.. and cruisers being operated more sedately.

If you intend on towing ski toys, you should declare your intentions, rather than wait for the knock back, if you need to make a claim.