What boat - again... sorry!

masca

Visit site
I apologise for starting yet another posting on the subject of 'what boat', but despite spending a considerable amount of time reading old postings, I am still unsure about my choice, and would greatly appreciate all opinions and advice that people are willing to give. My requirements are as follows:

1) Approx. 27' - '30'
2) Bilge keel
3) Safe, stable and seakindly
4) Fun to sail - this does not mean fast!
5) Comfortable accommodation for 2 adults for extended periods (good headroom)
6) Suitable for East Coast and Med sailing
7) Up to £25k, but preferably cheaper!

What are peoples opinions of the Countess 28? I have seen a previous post referring to them as ugly caravan's!

All help and idea's will be gratefully received. Thank you.

<hr width=100% size=1>

adee

Visit site
A southerly 28 it has a lifting leel and a very stable to boot good luck

<hr width=100% size=1>

pragmatist

Visit site
Sadler 29

Truly wonderful boat - a cracking sail, nice interior (with the sole exception of the galley sink which is under a bulkhead - improved on later models where the bulkhead slopes). Double skinned so slightly short on storage but the insulation makes early and late season sailing much more comfortable than the average.

Sailed on on the East Coast for 8 years - only 2 reasons for changing - coming down to the West Country with larger seas (they can be a little bouncy but that's true of a lot of boats of this size) and being greedy for a bigger boat anyway.

A very seamanlike boat with nice mod cons - sails very well to windward (which you'll often need if you don't want to motor up East Coast creeks) - like Hunters the twin keels are a very different design from trad bilge keels (and we had one of those too which sailed like a brick).

She also had adequate headroom for HWMBO who is 6 ft - barring the door to the heads where he regularly banged his noddle !

Good hunting !

<hr width=100% size=1>a pragmatist is an optimist with a boat in the UK

kilkerr1

homepage.ntlworld.com
Darn - jeffro got there before me! Kingfisher 30 all the way - tough as anything, stable, safe, deep bilge keels. A hell of a lot of boat for your money...oh, and certainly less than 25K. We've had a Kingfisher 20+ for a year and have just bought a K30 as a project. I can put you in contact with the Kingfisher yacht Owners Association if you want details.

You know you want to..!

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://kilkerr.members.easyspace.com/santateresa_pics.htm>Santa Teresa and other t'ings</A>

tome

www.google.co.uk
Spotted your vacant mooring Sunday pm when a very subdued crew returned Amaya to Northney from Cowes/Yarmouth after a weekend which can only be described as a bit of a bash...

<hr width=100% size=1>

willothewisp

Visit site
A Mirage would be a good choice: sturdy, reliable and roomy. In Holland you could buy one for around 25.ooo Euros, depending on condition, new motor, etc.

<hr width=100% size=1>

masca

Visit site
Thank you all for your suggestions and advice. I do like the idea of a Sadler 29, but will I be able to find a good one on my budget? They all seem to be over £25k. Also, could anyone please tell me the length of the Sadler 29's mast? Thanks again.

<hr width=100% size=1>