What Again!!!

bigmart

Visit site
Re: Some Dogs Are Better Than Others

Yes.

Flippers dead!

Lassie was driving the fishing boat.

Martin

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by bigmart on 03/01/2003 16:30 (server time).</FONT></P>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Navigational warning

Re: 51.21.98N, 002.12.79E. NM - roundabout.

Dunno - not my bit of Channel.

Info came from Dover Coastguard.

Navigational warning: if you try to navigate to Dover CG by using the online Yellow Pages you end up with the phone number of Dover's Coastguard Public House!

chas

Visit site
Re: Essex Girls!!

I don't think Vicky is Essex. There was one that lived in Royal Berks. I can rememeber a brialliant one that I met in Surrey in the sixties. Taught me a lot.

graham

Visit site
I think the language problem is at the heart of a lot of near misses/disasters.

Unless they are fluent in English or French chances of understanding Nav Warnings are unlikely.

As for hanging the captains,how about hanging the owners who put them under huge pressure to get from A-B for as few dollars as possible??

TheBoatman

Visit site
It now appears that the Vicky's captain is claiming that the French guard ship steered him onto the wreck,,,Now theres an interesting delvelopement<s>

Jacket

I\'m in Cambridge, boat\'s at Titchmarsh marina, W
Visit site
That's not much of an excuse is it? I thought that they (Master and deck officers) had to be reasonably competent in english, what with it being the international maritime language and all that. No matter where you are in the world, nav warnings are bradcast in english and the local language.

FlyingSpud

Visit site
I am not certain just how good a master’s English has to be, do they need to know any more English than, say, we need to be able to speak French when sending a Mayday, pan pan and so on?

Jacket

I\'m in Cambridge, boat\'s at Titchmarsh marina, W
Visit site
The following was based on what I was told by a RN Commander who retired about 15 years ago, so may be out of date.

According to him, all watch officers had to have sufficient english for all matters concerning safety. By that i understood that:

i) they had to be able to understand all weather forecasts and navigation warnings.

ii) be able to comunicate in english with other ships and the coastgaurd in matters of collision avoidance.

iii) not only be able to send out a mayday in english, but then to be able to comunicate with the emergency services to co-ordinate the rescue.

To do all that, I'd guess that they'd need to be fairly fluent in English.

I think he also said that the skippers af all yachts sailing outside their territorial waters should have a similar competence in english, but that this is generally overlooked, as yachts are generally too small to cause much damage to comercial shipping.

Where's HMCG? He should be able to give us a final answer.

TheBoatman

Visit site
From what I have been able to understand or lead to believe, the captain of the Vicky "claims" that he picked up the French Guard ship who instructed him as to his course etc, and proptly put him on to the wreck of the Tricolor. He seems adament that he was following instructions from the French warship?

FlyingSpud

Visit site
"I had no idea it was there. I saw some light buoys but I didn’t understand what it meant or why they were there because my normal charts didn’t show any light buoys. I tried to change course and turn to Starboard. Visibility was normal and I could see waves breaking, then I knew it must be a wreck because there are no shallows in that area"
Was the quote he gave the Times the day after, as I posted above, so it seems he is trying to change his story. Wonder why? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif