What’s the best toilet brush for a boat?

TiggerToo

Visit site
That’s one idea (although I’d be interested to see the ‘extensive experimentation’ report. What control was used? How was effectiveness measured?)
admittedly not a randomised test. "Experimentation" was the usual marine pragmatic one: try different arrays of brushes, in sequence, observe how effective they were, and how easy it was to store them in a decent way. Effectiveness was high, ease of storage (and hygiene) was low.

No need to poke your finger down the hole. Just wipe the skid marks off the bowl above the "waterline". Add a squirt of Ecover toilet cleaner (Buy Ecover Power Toilet Cleaner | Official Site) and in a few minutes a second flush results in a sparkling clean and sweet smelling loo.

Wash your hands thoroughly after every "operation", with soap and water.

I will not comment on do-nuts.

Frank Holden

Visit site
I keep a 1/2 litre bottle of cheap washing-up liquid on the shelf, and squirt a bit in the bowl, where the brown trout are likely to hit the runway. It prevents any 'matter' sticking to the porcelain, and it all slips down the hole like an oyster.
I don't use a bog brush, and assume that crew have the decency to leave everything clean and proper by wiping with a piece of bog paper.
Far far too much information in that post !! I can't remember ever flushing an oyster.

Me ? Any skid marks ? Scrubbed with my 50 cent bog brush while continuing pumping. Keep pumping until no residue on the bog brush.... pump a bit more to sanitise the bog brush with nature's disinfectant ( salt water ) . Shake over bowl, hang up. Job ( jobbie?) done.
NB. Sealord bogs are such that a few drips will find its way into the shower sump.

R.Ems

Visit site
Flushed where? I hope you mean you flush it into your black water tank. Or are you just polluting your anchorage?
I have a zero paper policy. Only human waste flushed, into holding tank where appropriate.
Any paper or other sanitary products go into a bag in a sealed box (also IKEA).
This is partly because there is nothing worse than swimming through toilet paper and partly because I don't want to unclog the plumbing when a novice crew dumps an entire roll into the bowl and expects it to be flushable.
I am also particularly averse to "wet wipes" being flushed as these will not degrade and add to further plastic pollution in the ocean.
I do realise my approach passes the buck on to local authorities to deal with my waste, but (at least here in Italy) I pay for this privilege.
In strongly tidal UK waters, with few exceptions, most of us flush paper and poops into the sea, often with a jocular comment about it arriving in Belgium in five or six hours, serendipitously demonstrating our grasp of the expected tidal streams!
The notion of sailing around with bags of stinking toilet paper on board, or even festering, venting black tanks, is repulsive and the former in particular would be considered a weird obsession with cloacal matters.
If I felt a burning desire to keep bags of dirty smelly toilet paper on board, I would ask for psychiatric treatment. Or possibly adopt another hobby and lifestyle, such as troglodytism.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
In strongly tidal UK waters, with few exceptions, most of us flush paper and poops into the sea, often with a jocular comment about it arriving in Belgium in five or six hours, serendipitously demonstrating our grasp of the expected tidal streams!
The notion of sailing around with bags of stinking toilet paper on board, or even festering, venting black tanks, is repulsive and the former in particular would be considered a weird obsession with cloacal matters.
If I felt a burning desire to keep bags of dirty smelly toilet paper on board, I would ask for psychiatric treatment. Or possibly adopt another hobby and lifestyle, such as troglodytism.
Ridiculously snowflake! Although only one of the four of us on board has been a parent, we are happy putting our toilet paper in "nappy sacks", one sack per visit, and putting the sacks in the bin provided by the charter company. The company prohibits flushing paper, meaning that if the toilet (including holding tank) requires unblocking there will be a charge! The bin is perfectly innocuous and is emptied every few days with the rest of on-board rubbish. Turkey is particularly particular about flushing of sewage in bays and harbours, despite their well-known slime events...

Sea-Fever

Visit site
My tuppence worth (see what I did there?)

I’m the first one to slate marine-priced items but I did plump for the OceanAir brush with holder and it does the job very well. And yes…..ridiculously priced.

Stemar

Visit site
My tuppence worth (see what I did there?)

I’m the first one to slate marine-priced items but I did plump for the OceanAir brush with holder and it does the job very well. And yes…..ridiculously priced.
I could get a lifetime's supply of these

BOLMEN black, Toilet brush/holder - IKEA

for less than that ridiculous price. It's what we used on Jissel and it worked fine. Tuck it in with the pipework to hold it in place and it'll stay put quite happily in any conditions you want to be out in.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Without a shadow of a doubt, this one:

OceanAir Brush & Stow Toilet Brush

Beautifully designed, brush head perfect snug fit it Jabsco toilet ‘throat’. Well sealed when brush put back in container so I leave some bleach in there to keep things ‘pleasant’. One of the best things I’ve ever bought for the boat - admittedly I’m quite fastidious about a clean heads though!
For that money It would be cheaper to buy a new bucket to c..p in :oops:

R.Ems

Visit site
Which they then pump down the loo for you to unblock when they have gone home:oops:
It never happens, maybe I am lucky but nobody has done that over the years. Having a proper full-size Blakes throne must help a lot as well.
Since we use the heads thousands of times, over many years, I am always puzzled that even quite expensive yachts have cheap and nasty little Chinese Jabscos. They seem, from all the complaints, to block easily and need regular fettling, plus being on the small side for a decent dump by a larger person. Not to mention the risk to gents of any 'low-hanging fruit' being immersed in the bowl contents..

Daydream believer

Visit site
It never happens, maybe I am lucky but nobody has done that over the years. Having a proper full-size Blakes throne must help a lot as well.
Since we use the heads thousands of times, over many years, I am always puzzled that even quite expensive yachts have cheap and nasty little Chinese Jabscos. They seem, from all the complaints, to block easily and need regular fettling, plus being on the small side for a decent dump by a larger person. Not to mention the risk to gents of any 'low-hanging fruit' being immersed in the bowl contents..
In my experience, It is not the jabsco that blocks. It is the black water tank, or the final seacock at the elbow to the sea. I find the Jabsco part extrememly good & have no problem with my 18 stone( was, but now sub 15) 6ft 6 ins frame.