Weymouth to torquay... worth following the shoreline?

FalconSteve

Visit site
Hi all,

We're crossing Lyme bay tomorrow on our way to torquay, most travellers seem to cross straight and not bother with the coastline route, is it worth seeing?

We've allowed a full day to get there, so it would be feasible logistically.

Thanks,

Steve

lanerboy

Visit site
Steve

I have never done it but people tell me that there is not a lot to see just chesil beach for mile after mile, but I stand to be corrected I know people off here that have done it many times jurgen, henry and many others so I am sure they will be along soon with advise

cheers shawn

PhilipF

Visit site
We've always crossed straight over, certainly not worth turning inland as far as West Bay.

Suggest once you are based here in Torbay, you could explore the coastline up to Lyme Regis - really nice from there westwards. If you did think of doing this might be worth berthing for a while at West Bay.

PhilipF

Visit site
We've always crossed straight over, certainly not worth turning inland as far as West Bay.

Suggest once you are based here in Torbay, you could explore the coastline up to Lyme Regis - really nice from there westwards. If you did think of doing this might be worth berthing for a while at West Bay.

FalconSteve

Visit site
Thanks Philip and Shawn, your replies are pretty much as expected. Unfortunately we're only making a flying visit this time Philip, possibly 2 nights. I'm thinking of making a day trip to Dartmouth on Thursday and then we head back to Weymouthb on Friday.

Steve

gjgm

Visit site
Hi all,

We're crossing Lyme bay tomorrow on our way to torquay, most travellers seem to cross straight and not bother with the coastline route, is it worth seeing?

We've allowed a full day to get there, so it would be feasible logistically.

Thanks,

Steve
take the inshore route as the sea looks excellent, doesnt it? You will have so many opportunities to slog from A to B in a building swell !
The long run along Chesil..
From memory, at 27ft you will get into Bridport;there are slightly more than a million lobster pots miles offshore, and it is a slightly unusually place, but a walk up the hill burns off lunch and gives a fine view.
Drop into Teighmouth, Tide runs hard through the pontoon, but one of the special places on the south coast , specially if you like a beer !
Lost my geography, but there is a small pontoon at Lyme Bay..take the outer end to stay afloat, but it is a pleasant enough spot out of the peak tourist hours. It isnt dark til about 10 pm , right...)
It always seems crappy sea taking what seems a long treck up towards Torquay and that isnt that interesting
So, if you haven't done it, and the sea is good and you have the time, there are a few POI that you can add to your logbook !
You don't ned to stop at all, or even for more than 30 mins, but a shame if you never even bother to go...
I've never made the Exe. Even by road much of it seemed a bit dull and not very mobo friendly.
The inshore route adds, what, 10-15 miles ...?? A pleasant lazy detour in the sunshine...

Last edited:

PhilipF

Visit site
Steve, if you could manage a day to go round to Dartmouth, do call in for a short stay in Dart Marina on the port side just past the upper ferry - the cable one. I walked into their office the other day when I happened to be in the town and inquired how much a short stay in our boat would cost. "Oh they said, less than ten pounds" I was well pleased, they seemed so welcoming, ever so close to the town too - and Dartmouth really is a lovely little town.

Reckon you should try and find time for a little longer stay in these parts:D

FalconSteve

Visit site
Thanks gavin, hlb and Philip once again, from what you say it seems that there is some value in the inner coastline route. The whole area is packed with great places to visit isn't it. I can't wait to get started in the morning, we are limited by needing to be back in ocean Village by Sunday, so we'll have to treat the trip as a taster, we have toyed with the idea of moving the boat to torquay for a few seasons, this trip might be ask it takes to convince us.

I think we'll wait and see if we make the 10am bridge lift at Weymouth, if so then the extra time will be avaliable to make for the long route as the prediction is indeed for calm seas tomorrow, if we miss the lift and have to wait until noon then we'll probazbly have to take the direct route. Mind you I reckon we'd fit umber the bridge anyway if I could only convince swmbo to give it a go ;)

Steve

Last edited:

BrendanS

Visit site
This is what Longjohnsilver wrote many years ago, and I think the original thread has long gone, but I found a copy I posted about 8 years ago

"No need to rush, call in at a few other places on the way, you'll be surprised how easy it will seem.

Maybe call in at Weymouth for the cheapest fuel on the south coast, creep around Portland Bill about 50- 100 yards off and then hug the coast around Lyme Bay, maybe stop for lunch in Lyme Regis, use a visitors buoy and dinghy to the Cobb, good food and drink in the Cobb Arms. Then onwards past Beer (you could well find Blue Fisher somewhere between Lyme and Exmouth on one of our favourite dive sites), maybe call into Exmouth for a pint, you can always moor alongside me or use my mooring if I'm not there. From my mooring it's only about 20 yards onto Dawlish Warren which has great sandy beaches, but watch out for the currents. The sand dunes are great, easy to find a secluded bit all to yourself even at the busiest times. Have a good explore, there's ponds, loads of wildlife and even a golf course!

Then on to Teignmouth, only go in around high water, but well worth the effort, pretty, good beaches and some good pubs on the quay. Next on to Babbacombe tucked away in the corner of the bay only a few miles away from Torquay. There's a little pier that you can tie up to at high tide, or else anchor 50 yards or so off at low water, with an excellent pub only 50 yards or so away. And a few hundred yards away is a cliff railway, up to the top for some great views. There are often dolphins around this area, an added bonus.

Then round the corner to Torbay, not my favourite place although Brixham is interesting in places, particularly recommended is Brixham Yacht Club, fantastic views of the bay with good food and a good choice of beers. From there a short hop around to Dartmouth, maybe stopping at Scabbacombe sands for the girls to play (watch out for the nudists!) and then into Dartmouth, loads of places to stop, or for somewhere a bit quieter up to Dittisham or again at high water, all the way to Totnes.

Leaving Dartmouth for Salcombe you have some great beaches in Start Bay, Blackpool Sands being one of the best. Look out for the abandoned houses at Hallsands, lots of history there. Creep around Start Point avoiding the Skerries and Salcombe is just around the corner. Look for the wreckage on Prawle point, an old ship which broke its tow some years ago. Salcombe has some of the best beaches in the country with golden sands and clear water, and always somewhere sheltered to moor or anchor.

There you have it, Lyme Bay and beyond in easy steps, all great fun and not at all difficult in settled weather. Give it a go, you will enjoy it, or else your money back!!"

Rocksteadee

Visit site
Spend the time in Dartmouth, have just left there.
Loads to do, take a trip up the the river on the last working paddle steamer in the UK
steam train to Greenways and an odd pub or two

Jurgen

Visit site
If you go to Dartmouth head up river ti Dittisham and pick up a visitors bouy, you might have to raft depending on the day.

Take the water taxi to the. Ferry Boat Inn, fantastic food and beer but be warned it's very easy to spend the whole day/evening there lol.

If the tide is rising head upto Totness, a lovely scenic trip.

Either way enjoy the trip.

For my money I would go into Brixham, less touristy with great pubs. Recommend the New Quay Inn, owned by 2 Brixham bertholders who pride themselves on good beer and a warm welcome

FalconSteve

Visit site
Well I thought I would update the group, I decided to take the coastline route, I cut the Chesil beach section off and made a triangle from portland bill to Bridport. Not much of a short cut I know, but it helps.

Anyway, the decision proved to be a good one as I stumbled upon a glamour photo shoot in full swing and our first interaction with a pod of dolphins. Photo attached (of a dolphin of course).

DSC_0301_zpskslplix8.jpg

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Never mind the dolphin, where's the glamour shoot?

The 70-300mm telephoto lens is perfect for reporting glamour shoots back to the forum :)

I know you've been given loads of advice on where to go but if the weather is nice just 10 minutes round from Torquay is Babbacombe Bay. If you have a tender (and I think you do) pick up one of the Cary Arms buoys then tender over to the stone pier and tie up (make sure you take a decent length bit of string with you).

Lunch sitting out on the banked terrace overlooking your boat in the bay below takes some beating. The food is superb.

19ababbacombebay_zpse43128f9.jpg

19ajetty_zps174dfc4d.jpg

19asealhead_zps8922b2f4.jpg

19acareyarms_zps08dedc9c.jpg

If you're lucky you'll see the seal.

Edited to say if you eat the mooring buoys are free.

Henry :)