Westerly yachts

richardbayle

www.richardbayle.com

ashtead

Visit site
Presumably the measurements can be looked up on the westerly site and as year of build is stated might be a clue to model . If you search for Westerly on this forum it will throw up loads of posts etc .

burgundyben

Visit site
Seahawk or Falcon. Cant remember the difference.

Same hull used on those and the Riviera. But its not a Riviera.

Not the prettiest and not the best sailing boat but fab huge accomodation.

Westerly at that size I'd be looking for a Corsair.

Barbican

Visit site
Looks like a boat in my marina a year or so ago that the owner was refitting. He said it was a Westerly 35, an aft cockpit design based on the 33/Discus hull if I remember correctly.

pvb

Visit site
Well I tried that and got nowhere, its obviously me, old, grumpy and tired of computers.
I'll have another go tomorrow

It's a Seahawk 35 (the Falcon was the same hull but an aft cockpit). The centre cockpit was put really high up, in order to give standing headroom in the galley underneath it. The result is that it feels rather insecure, as if you're perched on top of the boat, rather than sitting in a cockpit. Another downside is that the descent into the saloon is down a long ladder, a bit like going down into a cellar. My wife and I had a trial sail in a new one in the 1980s; we didn't like it at all. We went on to buy a Corsair, which is a much nicer boat.

cpedw

Visit site
The Seahawk has a centre cockpit, the Falcon is an aft cockpit. The photo of the saloon is the same as my Falcon (but no guitar) was but I don't recognise the aft cabin picture.
The same hull was renamed Oceanquest and Kestrel in later models.
Why two heads in 35 feet was a puzzle.

NealB

Visit site
The Seahawk has a centre cockpit, the Falcon is an aft cockpit. The photo of the saloon is the same as my Falcon (but no guitar) was but I don't recognise the aft cabin picture.
The same hull was renamed Oceanquest and Kestrel in later models.
Why two heads in 35 feet was a puzzle.

Yes, the stern cabin is different to the one in our Falcon, too.

We've got a big double berth to starboard and a separate loo with handbasin to port.

The saloon looks familiar, though my guitar is usually lying on the starboard berth (but perhaps the pic in the OP was taken when they were on starboard tack?).

We find two heads is useful:

- if one is engaged, the other one might not be

- (slightly) less disturbance between those in the forecabin and those in the stern

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
It's a Seahawk 35 (the Falcon was the same hull but an aft cockpit). The centre cockpit was put really high up, in order to give standing headroom in the galley underneath it. The result is that it feels rather insecure, as if you're perched on top of the boat, rather than sitting in a cockpit. Another downside is that the descent into the saloon is down a long ladder, a bit like going down into a cellar. My wife and I had a trial sail in a new one in the 1980s; we didn't like it at all. We went on to buy a Corsair, which is a much nicer boat.

Many years ago, we were talking to a broker who used to work for Westerly. He said they sold more Seahawks ashore at shows with boarded walkway around so customers didn't realise how high they were.

Reactions: pvb