Westerly Cirrus

johnalison

Visit site
Fantastic, thanks for finding this. We had a Cirrus from new in 1971. We only kept it for a couple of years because our children somewhat outgrew it. We seemed to manage without a heater, most of the internal fitting, furling jib, sprayhood and a 15hp motor, ours being 10. The interior was as good as they say, and the bulkhead door a great boon. What we did have that they seemed not to was a large cave locker aft of the dinette which on our boat held a Redcrest, pushchair, and sometimes even a set of golf clubs. They don't mention the 3' 6" fin keel and its good sailing qualities, but I am suspicious of their much-extended tiller, which appears to take up a lot of space.
In fact, here is us in 1973.
68-74 (98).jpg

Last edited:

38mess

Visit site
I used to follow this channel... they now sail a hugh cat in the far East. Nice couple. Nice boat the cirus we had one in our club, pretty quick if I remember

Wansworth

Visit site
Oh, yes. It'd be terrible to be have to go sailing but it only be a small boat. Much better to wait until Santa brings you a 40 footer. ;)
Although you may find it unbelievable my last boat an Albin Vega had two settee berths which allowed two people to lie out and sleep or lie down during the day toread etc,this is really whatIam looking for ,those awful layouts witha kitchen occupying one side see only too common 🙁

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Although you may find it unbelievable my last boat an Albin Vega had two settee berths which allowed two people to lie out and sleep or lie down during the day toread etc,this is really whatIam looking for ,those awful layouts witha kitchen occupying one side see only too common 🙁
The trouble is Wansy that most of the boats you have been looking at are not in the same league as an Albin Vega. You also want a lot, perhaps too much for what you want to pay.

Wansworth

Visit site
The trouble is Wansy that most of the boats you have been looking at are not in the same league as an Albin Vega. You also want a lot, perhaps too much for what you want to pay.
I think I can swing it with the wife up to 12,000euros,there are various craft in that price,but atthe momment Unfortunatly more pressing things going on ,hopefully by September it’s all systems go😂

ianat182

Visit site
I owned the Cirrus's bigger brother, at 25 ft, the Westerly Tiger.
Difference in length made for a better boat I feel.
Roomy enough for four adults and I replaced the original Volvo MD 1 A with an MD2010 and found it both quieter and smoother in operation. Mine had travelled up into Scandinavia, Holland and France; lost her prop in the Keil Canal and a second one when entering Brighton Marina in her past life as a Sailing School owned yacht from new.
I miss the boat very much and believe she now is based on the Medway at Gillingham. Sail No is T182 and hence my username here ! Draft is 4ft 3inches but just about enough for most visits. A good safe performer both racing and cruising
using the cruising chute and full main 7 Kts in F3.

The Nahoa family I subscribe to on Youtube and they are back to their Lagoon catamaran doing the Atlantic crossing from Capetown to the Caribbean and one of the better produced videos.

Sorry for the drift!!

Ianat182

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
My Hunter Horizon 23 offers that, you don't have to get a big boat for that.

Wansworth

Visit site
My Hunter Horizon 23 offers that, you don't have to get a big boat for that
My peculiar situation in Galicia is that buying a boat not in Galicia means bringing it a long way either from the med or eastwards to the Basque Country.at this momment there are various boats that meet my exacting requirements(😂) in the area of the rias bajas,easily to get to to work on if not fit for sea.

johnalison

Visit site
I owned the Cirrus's bigger brother, at 25 ft, the Westerly Tiger.
Difference in length made for a better boat I feel.
Roomy enough for four adults and I replaced the original Volvo MD 1 A with an MD2010 and found it both quieter and smoother in operation. Mine had travelled up into Scandinavia, Holland and France; lost her prop in the Keil Canal and a second one when entering Brighton Marina in her past life as a Sailing School owned yacht from new.
I miss the boat very much and believe she now is based on the Medway at Gillingham. Sail No is T182 and hence my username here ! Draft is 4ft 3inches but just about enough for most visits. A good safe performer both racing and cruising
using the cruising chute and full main 7 Kts in F3.

The Nahoa family I subscribe to on Youtube and they are back to their Lagoon catamaran doing the Atlantic crossing from Capetown to the Caribbean and one of the better produced videos.

Sorry for the drift!!

Ianat182
We couldn’t possibly have afforded a Tiger when we bought our Cirrus for £2400. The Tiger was very similar in many ways, being also Butler-designed, but it was said that it didn’t represent as big an improvement in speed as one might expect. In the Cirrus we would generally sail past Hurley 22s and Galeon 22s fairly easily in spite of having standing headroom.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site

You are in good company. Maurice Griffiths extolled the virtues of a two settee berth layout. Just what you need for a couple of chaps to recline with their pipes for the evening, to chew the fat, or just quietly contemplate the mysteries of the universe.

(I'm not enough of an upright citizen for dinette layouts!)

Of course what you need is an LM27. 😁 Not only do you get a settee berth either side - the galley's in the wheelhouse (and there's an additional V berth in the forecabin, plus another couple of berths under the cockpit canopy, but don't all stand up at once!) - but you can either sleep on a settee berth as it is, or fold up a flap which makes it a very generous single, or a somewhat tight double (best suited to a lithe and amorous couple, methinks).

Wansworth

Visit site
You are in good company. Maurice Griffiths extolled the virtues of a two settee berth layout. Just what you need for a couple of chaps to recline with their pipes for the evening, to chew the fat, or just quietly contemplate the mysteries of the universe.

(I'm not enough of an upright citizen for dinette layouts!)

Of course what you need is an LM27. 😁 Not only do you get a settee berth either side - the galley's in the wheelhouse (and there's an additional V berth in the forecabin, plus another couple of berths under the cockpit canopy, but don't all stand up at once!) - but you can either sleep on a settee berth as it is, or fold up a flap which makes it a very generous single, or a somewhat tight double (best suited to a lithe and amorous couple, methinks).
17,000 euros is a boat too far😏