westerly Berwick

bazanrose

Visit site
advice please! my berwick has started to crack 4" inwards towards the centre line of the hull from the front bilge keel bolt how can i remedy this thanks baz.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
I would suggest you get a surveyor to look at it. Is it a new or old crack, is it spreading or flexing? It could be cosmetic or it could be serious. It could be a construction or a material flaw or stress related. Have you had a serious grounding, are you on a drying, deep mud berth (the keels can be forced outward as they sink into deep mud).

Most of these boats are VERY well built & strong, but some have had problems with the keels needing reseating. I have had my 35yr old Pentland for 20 years on hard drying moorings with no keel problems at all so far.

The remedy probably depends on the nature & cause of the damage. It may only need grinding out & reglassing, it may require major work. We cannot tell on a forum without seeing the problem and understanding the cause.

VicS

Visit site
I agree with everything Searush has said. The keel problem with Centaurs is well known but i have not previously heard of a similar problem with Berwicks or Pentlands.

The Berwick I have sailed extensivley has no problems after 30 years on a drying mooring but not in deep mud. It has been bounced on the bottom a few times and must bump a bit at times on its own mooring.

You definitely need professional advice and repairs.

Bilgediver

Visit site
There is no alternative but to drop the keels and inspect the pods inside and outside to ascertain what caused this crack.

The keel problems folk talk about is usually as a result of the keels splaying when moored on soft mud and this can put high loads in the keel bolt area as well as work the sealant to the point where it no longer seals and then there is leakage at the bolts.

If this happens there is a danger of someone attacking the keel bolts with a big spanner and doing further damage by driving the nut and packer into the fibre glass. The fibre glass will crush under the nut long before you run out of ability to force the nut round.

In one case I know on on a Westerly Vulcan the keel nuts had been driven half way through the hull in trying to take up leaks.

Only cost £5000 to drop the keels, ficx a few cracks just like the one you describe and reinforce the keel pod and the rebuild the hull in way of the keel bolts.

You need to carefully inspect the keel pods internally and externally to be sure the crack you have found is the only one and that there is no crushing damage under any of the nuts.

Get a good surveyor.

Bilgediver

Visit site
There is no alternative but to drop the keels and inspect the pods inside and outside to ascertain what caused this crack.

The keel problems folk talk about is usually as a result of the keels splaying when moored on soft mud and this can put high loads in the keel bolt area as well as work the sealant to the point where it no longer seals and then there is leakage at the bolts.

If this happens there is a danger of someone attacking the keel bolts with a big spanner and doing further damage by driving the nut and packer into the fibre glass. The fibre glass will crush under the nut long before you run out of ability to force the nut round.

In one case I know on on a Westerly Vulcan the keel nuts had been driven half way through the hull in trying to take up leaks.

Only cost £5000 to drop the keels, ficx a few cracks just like the one you describe and reinforce the keel pod and the rebuild the hull in way of the keel bolts.

You need to carefully inspect the keel pods internally and externally to be sure the crack you have found is the only one and that there is no crushing damage under any of the nuts.

Get a good surveyor.

Now why didn t I pop down to Walwyns Castle today instead of driving home /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
[ QUOTE ]
(cut)

[/ QUOTE ]

Do not drop the keels for inspection until a surveyor has seen the damage & recommends that you do so.

Did the problem appear recently? Is it spreading or has it been there for years, but you haven't noticed? Is anything visible on the outside? You may get some idea from whether the crack is clean or dirty. But don't go wasting money taking keel off "just to make sure". Find out more BEFORE you start spending big money. Good luck.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
I just read your Bio, in which you say you are about to buy this boat - is that still true or have you already bought? If the latter, contact your purchasing surveyor. If the former, ask the seller some hard questions & get your surveyor to help you negotiate a price or just go elsewhere.