Recessed Foot Step

Poignard

Visit site
Maybe the time will come when marina owners come to realise that most of their customers own big boats with topsides like the side of a house, and they'll install pontoons that are higher out of the water.

Those of us who sail boats like Twisters wiil find ourselves needing ladders to climb up if we wish to go ashore!

srm

Visit site
Those of us who sail boats like Twisters wiil find ourselves needing ladders to climb up if we wish to go ashore!
On two of my boats with shroud chain plates on the deck edge I fitted three rungs of ratlines above the top guard rail. The primary purpose was to catch anyone who fell while working at the mast. Although this never happened they did prove very useful for getting on and off piers.

Tranona

Visit site
Having owned 2 fairly high sided boats like the one in the photo The problem is relatively simple to solve. a gate with secure stanchions either side then a step on the pontoon at home berth and a folding one when away, or a fender step. Also, but not possible with the OPs boat one can always back in and board from the stern. for boarding from a dinghy I would suggest one of these with mounting plates on either side alongside the cockpit. I had one for years on my Eventide and it worked very well force4.co.uk/item/Lalizas/Stainless-Steel-Boarding-Ladder/TCV

Humblebee

Visit site
Wouldn't modifying the guard rail be easier that than getting a custom designed/built ladder?
Yes, that is a possibility we are still considering. The guardrail curves around both sides from the stern and I am not sure if cutting a section out would affect the structural strength though. Just another possibility for us older 'uns to look at!

Humblebee

Visit site
Having owned 2 fairly high sided boats like the one in the photo The problem is relatively simple to solve. a gate with secure stanchions either side then a step on the pontoon at home berth and a folding one when away, or a fender step. Also, but not possible with the OPs boat one can always back in and board from the stern. for boarding from a dinghy I would suggest one of these with mounting plates on either side alongside the cockpit. I had one for years on my Eventide and it worked very well force4.co.uk/item/Lalizas/Stainless-Steel-Boarding-Ladder/TCV
Thanks, another possibility we are thinking about, but there isn't a toerail around the cockpit, just a standing space an a deep coaming around the cockpit itself. Hard to describe but probably we would need two short ladders, welded together, to overcome this.

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
The ladder attaches to plates on the deck and there looks like enough room to mount them on the deck area alongside the coamings.
Those ladders are quite stable when clipped into the plates. The main disadvantage, if the boat is on a mooring, is that the ladder pretty much has to stay in place or, at best, laid up on the sidedeck when leaving the boat.