Welsh Yacth Clubs

steve62

Visit site
As a family, we are thinking of moving from South Essex to the Welsh Borders area, so I am doing a little research on yacth clubs.

Does anybody currently travel from around the Ludlow area to eithe the Bristol Channel or the West Coast to sail? If so, are there any issues? Is it doable for a weekend say (my boat is only 22ft). Any recommendations of clubs that would have moorings and haul out facilities?

Thanks

Steve

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
Don't want to be negative, but I think Ludlow must be a strong competitor in the "Worst Place for a Sailor to Live" competition.

Having said that, I would certainly check out Dovey Yacht Club at Aberdyfi. There's a nice holiday vibe to the town, often sunny, sheltered sailing in the estuary at high water, over the bar and out to sea also possible at times . . . Much to like. About 2 hours away by car.

KevinV

Visit site
As a family, we are thinking of moving from South Essex to the Welsh Borders area, so I am doing a little research on yacth clubs.

Does anybody currently travel from around the Ludlow area to eithe the Bristol Channel or the West Coast to sail? If so, are there any issues? Is it doable for a weekend say (my boat is only 22ft). Any recommendations of clubs that would have moorings and haul out facilities?

Thanks

Steve
Consider Cardiff Bay too - I'm Monmouth, so on your route south, and chose Cardiff because there's the bay for an afternoon's sailing, or the sea through the lock. The tides and currents are a bit less horrendous than anywhere further up channel.
Two clubs and a marina to choose from:
Cardiff Yacht Club - member operated and the cheapest (I have my 22'er here)
Cardiff Bay Yacht Club - professionally operated. Berthing/membership is not that much more, but haulout/washing is about double, the (good) bar and restaurant are more expensive too. Nice though.
Penarth Marina - can't comment, other than that they're not very nice about visitor parking.

Mister E

Visit site
Do a search for LLanbedr and Pensarn yacht club near Harlech.
Not a bad drive through Shrewsbury and Bala.
Lots of people do the trip from The West Mids every weekend.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
We have several boat owners that travel some distance to their boats in Aberaeron, you don't say what your boat is, but Aberaeron is sutable for smaller boats, the largest we have is 32', the club is right on the sea front of this Georgian town, see the AYC website aberaeronyachtclub.co.uk.

europe172

Visit site

Thanks

Steve
You are about an hour and a half from Newport Uskmouth Sailing Club, very welcome to come and visit

steve62

Visit site
We have several boat owners that travel some distance to their boats in Aberaeron, you don't say what your boat is, but Aberaeron is sutable for smaller boats, the largest we have is 32', the club is right on the sea front of this Georgian town, see the AYC website aberaeronyachtclub.co.uk.
Praxinoscope, I daren't. My boat begins with an A and ends with a 22 :)

steve62

Visit site
Thank you for the replies so far, there is some food for thought there. I must admit, I had forgotten about Cardiff, but I do like the sounds of sailing off the west coast. A bit different to the Thames Estuary.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Praxinoscope, I daren't. My boat begins with an A and ends with a 22 :)
Dare I say it that I have always liked the 'unmentionable' and seriously looked at buying one back in the 70's.
Have seen a couple visit Aberaeron over the years, but being a drying harbour it may not suit, New Quay much the same, both suit bilge keelers better, Cardigan does have some moorings that would suit, Milford Haven certainly does.