Well, that's that then !

nonitoo

Visit site
Our last boat is sold ! Five years of fun, lunches in Boulogne, wandering the French canals, visiting Paris, up the Thames and along the south coast to the Solent.

Time to move on to pastures new and won't miss the winter preparation, insurance costs, marina fees (and "what's going to stop working next ?")

The killer for us was the weather over the last two summers. Whatever way you look at it, tempus fugit, and we must make full use of our leisure time before health issues start to restrict us.

On the plus side loved visiting many new places, met great people and just relaxed.

On all our trips the only one I would not repeat would be the one to the Solent. In fifty years of yachting/motorboating I have never encountered such aggression and stress in others - I cannot understand what pleasure they get from such behaviour.

So, 55 years of boating, in one form or another, is now over other than as a crew with friends occasionally.

Essex Boatyards sold the boat (after a very quiet winter). Happy with their service.

I have enjoyed being a (rather quiet) member of these forums(a) for years and will probably lurk here for a while.

My very best wishes to you all and I hope you all have many happy years of boating ahead.

Tom

mm1

Visit site
the future

good luck to you sir ,i am sure you will miss it but hope you find something else to fill your time.i have to agree with you about the solent,we were in Berthons the other w/e & @ 9am Sun morn charter sail boat playing very loud music & kids out of control ! o & loud people in restaurants.if the withdrawal symptons are to great come &see us in Poole,regards mm1.

Last edited:

FalconSteve

Visit site
Hi Tom,

I am at the other end of the ladder. I have just joined the forum and am in the process of purchasing my first ever boat. I am buying a Falcon 27 with twin AD31 130 hp diesels.

I looked at your advert on boatshop24 and your boat looks a real beauty. I am sure the new owners will appreciate the care and attention you have clearly given her.

I read your comments about the solent with some concern, this is the area that I plan on using my boat the most, even to the point of mooring her in a local marina. I wonder if it is just at the peak times that the bad manners come to the fore?

As a new boater, I am certain I will make mistakes and thus need to be guided to the correct way of doing things, if this is done in a good positive way, it can be very well recieved. I guess I will soon find out!

Good luck for your future activities.

Steve

nonitoo

Visit site
Thanks Steve, and the others, for your good wishes.

I am sure you will enjoy your new craft.

Don't take my comments about the Solent sailors too much to heart. It is just that the place is so crowded that the unpleasant ones crop up more often than usual. Their aggression and bluster is usually only exceeded by their lack of skill/knowledge. I expect that they behave the same in their lives ashore.

The vast majority of those you will meet will be great chaps(esses), more than happy to help you with any questions you may have, especially if you offer them a beer !

Good luck with your new boat.

Tom

paultallett

www.caymanreef.co.uk
Hi Tom,

I am at the other end of the ladder. I have just joined the forum and am in the process of purchasing my first ever boat. I am buying a Falcon 27 with twin AD31 130 hp diesels.

I looked at your advert on boatshop24 and your boat looks a real beauty. I am sure the new owners will appreciate the care and attention you have clearly given her.

I read your comments about the solent with some concern, this is the area that I plan on using my boat the most, even to the point of mooring her in a local marina. I wonder if it is just at the peak times that the bad manners come to the fore?

As a new boater, I am certain I will make mistakes and thus need to be guided to the correct way of doing things, if this is done in a good positive way, it can be very well recieved. I guess I will soon find out!

Good luck for your future activities.

Steve

Hi Steve,

We have been Solent based now for 5 years, and whilst you will come across the odd ****** most you will meet are nothing but lovely.

Yes the Solent gets busy, but it's a lot quieter than it used to be. You'll be fine. Where are you thinking of berthing your falcon??

Regards

Paul.

FalconSteve

Visit site
Hi Steve,

We have been Solent based now for 5 years, and whilst you will come across the odd ****** most you will meet are nothing but lovely.

Yes the Solent gets busy, but it's a lot quieter than it used to be. You'll be fine. Where are you thinking of berthing your falcon??

Regards

Paul.

Hi Paul,

We're not completely decided yet, last weekend we looked at the hamble, and Southsea, next weekend I plan on visiting a couple in the southampton area. I like the idea of one of the chain marina companies as they offer those free berths at theie other locations. I like the look of ocean village, or maybe hythe or shamrock quay.

Where do you keep yours?

Sorry to hijack your thread Tom :)

Best wishes,

Steve

SolentPhill

Visit site
Hi Steve,

Regards

Paul.

I agree, I love going to the Solent I'm in Littlehampton and when you come out the entrance all you see is pots, sometimes a fishing boat goes out or a trailer boat but that's all, but to go through boulder & street and see all the boats of all shapes sizes and colours is great.

Seahope

Visit site
Our last boat is sold ! Five years of fun, lunches in Boulogne, wandering the French canals, visiting Paris, up the Thames and along the south coast to the Solent.

Time to move on to pastures new and won't miss the winter preparation, insurance costs, marina fees (and "what's going to stop working next ?")

The killer for us was the weather over the last two summers. Whatever way you look at it, tempus fugit, and we must make full use of our leisure time before health issues start to restrict us.

On the plus side loved visiting many new places, met great people and just relaxed.

On all our trips the only one I would not repeat would be the one to the Solent. In fifty years of yachting/motorboating I have never encountered such aggression and stress in others - I cannot understand what pleasure they get from such behaviour.

So, 55 years of boating, in one form or another, is now over other than as a crew with friends occasionally.

Essex Boatyards sold the boat (after a very quiet winter). Happy with their service.

I have enjoyed being a (rather quiet) member of these forums(a) for years and will probably lurk here for a while.

My very best wishes to you all and I hope you all have many happy years of boating ahead.

Tom

Wow, 55 years of boating that is some experience you have there.

A lot of us go boating to reduce the stress of our work. If you live in the South there are lots of other stresses from over crowding on the roads, speed cameras every 10 feet ;-) Over crowding on the rail and tube network, high prices, often poor service etc. I am now suffering having to use the Waterloo & City Line in rush hour every day :( Not something I would wish on my worst enemy.

Unfortunately, there are always a few 'rotten apples' in any section of society. I have not experienced any boat rage yet and most people have been very understanding of my mistakes although, thankfully, I haven't hit another boat yet. Although, I have had a few close calls ;)

Richard10002

Visit site

Why not do what I've done? After about 35 years of yachting, I've bought a narrowboat. A super pace of life, a boat close to home ... It's like having a garden shed that floats :)

If no canals near Dover, there must be a navigable river within reach?

hlb

RIP
Visit site

Tom

Yes I perfectly agree, I also have done about 55 years of boating, if I include Butlins boating lake.:D

The Solent was also my least favourite place, even though we did visit it quite often.

On our first boat big enough, We used to go Pwhelli to Ireland very often and tour round the coast, there we hardly any habour dues and fuel was a few pence a gallon.

Kept MF in Plymouth for twelve years, the harbours and moorings down there were fantastic. Plus an easy trip to the CI's and beond.

OK, it was health reasons that stopped me.
But I cant see I would have carried on long, with the cost of maintainance and fuel costs.

It seems to me that the EEC has killed off the whole motor boating industry.
I wont be going back, but SWMBO wants a canal barge.:eek:

Kawasaki

Visit site
[QUOTE=hlb if I include Butlins boating lake.:D

I,d have paid Money to see that!!!:D:

But I cant see I would have carried on long, with the cost of maintainance and fuel costs.

Bog Off , H . 'Tha can't Take It With You'

I wont be going back, but SWMBO wants a canal barge.:eek:[/QUOTE

Be good for 'Henery' to run along an bark at the 'Keepers' an stuff

Hey 'H' there must be a 'Barge Forum', too yer could enjoy;):D

OAF

Visit site
Nooitoo, it's a long time to have been on the water, I bet you will miss it! I know I would after what seems a life time of being afloat in one way or another.

I work on the inland waterways and I am amazed over the last couple of years in the amount of people who visit my place looking for a narrow boat having retired from coastal boating, the reasons for retiring are sometimes very similar, rising costs, weather and health, certainly not because they are fed up with boating.

There is a 'barge' forum, there are several!

nonitoo

Visit site
We did consider the narrow boat option but have elected to, for the next few years anyway, to blow the "marina fees" hiring a boat on the French waterways for a couple of weeks a year.

That way we get to enjoy the weather and pace of life there, forcing down the local food and wine -sigh- if we must ;-), and handing the boat back at the end of it all.

I've still got my ICC/CEVNI lying around somewhere.

Tom

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I expect it will seem a bit strange after 55 years! Hope you enjoy whatever you find to fill your time from now on, no reason not to continue lurking/posting! :)

Jegs

Visit site
We did consider the narrow boat option but have elected to, for the next few years anyway, to blow the "marina fees" hiring a boat on the French waterways for a couple of weeks a year.

That way we get to enjoy the weather and pace of life there, forcing down the local food and wine -sigh- if we must ;-), and handing the boat back at the end of it all.

Tom

Tom,

Check ICC/CEVNI is still in date, I believe they need to be renewed after five years.
If you enjoy rivers, the upper Saone [St Jean de Losne - Corre] is good: somewhat similar to the Thames, but without the crowds & [sadly] the pubs.

John G

Richard10002

Visit site

Tom

Good plan!

nonitoo

Visit site
Tom,

Check ICC/CEVNI is still in date, I believe they need to be renewed after five years.
If you enjoy rivers, the upper Saone [St Jean de Losne - Corre] is good: somewhat similar to the Thames, but without the crowds & [sadly] the pubs.

John G

ICC replaced earlier this year. I see it is now slightly differently laid out. My new one just says "Yes" under the Power section. I phoned the RYA and they confirmed that this DOES cover me up to 24mtrs/80GT.

Apparently if you are only covered up to 10 mtrs the ICC will be endorsed as such.

I'll check out your recommendation too.

Tom