Well I've bought a Liveaboard - Roberts 42

Tradewinds

www.etsy.com
Maybe you should get the book about building Mollyhawk by Nick & Jill Schinas when it becomes available.

See Mollyhawk website.

Link to the book (not yet published) here. - it gives you a flavour of what to expect.

Good luck with the project.

JustinC

Visit site
There's a Roberts Association which I read about in one of the recent additions of PBO. If you don't already know them, or want me to dig out the details, just let me know.

Otherwise, good luck with your project and keep updating the blog for us to follow your progress.

Justin

Justin

tomski

Visit site
Read a bit about the Mollyhawk..what a (mis) adventure...well the hope is that my project sailed extensively in the past but as always one is never sure....I do intend to put her right in every way before I set sail as did experience the issue of 'doing it enroute' before on a much smaller yacht though..

Justin if you mean the yahoo group then I just signed up but if you know of others then please do let me know :)

rogerthebodger

Visit site
There was a series of articles 2 or 3 years ago in PBO about Mollyhawk.

My boat was also built in Cape Town in the last 1970's and never finished until I purchased her 7 years ago. I moved her to Johannesburg and finished her to a point I could launch her and live on her 2 years ago.

Just finishing her off in the next 6 months and once sold up will do sailing.

Last edited by a moderator:

tomski

Visit site
Well I just found out some further info on mine...it also has been built in SA and sailed to the UK...then basically left in the water for a few years, lifted out about 3 years ago and worked on but the work didnt finish so still plenty to do...:)...guess main parts are structure, mechanics, electrics, rigging & sails, interior & cosmetics...probably in that order to

Yacht Mollymawk

www.yachtmollymawk.com
Maybe you should get the book about building Mollyhawk by Nick & Jill Schinas when it becomes available.

See Mollyhawk website.

Link to the book (not yet published) here. - it gives you a flavour of what to expect.

Good luck with the project.
Thanks for mentioning our upcoming book, How NOT to Build a Boat. Not to advertise in particular; but if you are interested then we've just started a mailing list for the book.
If you join the list at http://eepurl.com/gLvnD then once we get going we'll let you know about the book and when it's published, and we'll also be giving free boatbuilding info and advice to members of the list.
When the book is finally published, we'll be offering subscribers a discount on the book.

Notwithstanding all the above, if you do want any particular boatbuilding advice feel free to get in touch (via our website is easiest) and we'll try to help!

Tradewinds

www.etsy.com
Thanks for mentioning our upcoming book, How NOT to Build a Boat. Not to advertise in particular; but if you are interested then we've just started a mailing list for the book.
If you join the list at http://eepurl.com/gLvnD then once we get going we'll let you know about the book and when it's published, and we'll also be giving free boatbuilding info and advice to members of the list.
When the book is finally published, we'll be offering subscribers a discount on the book.

Notwithstanding all the above, if you do want any particular boatbuilding advice feel free to get in touch (via our website is easiest) and we'll try to help!
Hi Jill & Nick,
We met you in 1993 in Porto Santo - we were the Nic39 ketch with 2 young sprogs of our own. We hauled out there for the winter then carried on with our travels the next spring.

Just bought your book A Family Outing in the Atlantic - I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures with Maamari.

Enjoy your travels on the good ship Mollyhawk.

Fair winds

Nigel

Conachair

Visit site

phanakapan

Visit site
Agree with Conochair re being able to get to inside of hull everywhere; all our cupboards/bunks/galley/furniture/floorboards/ceilings etc etc are un-screwable or un-wedgeable for total inside hull access.

Bajansailor

Visit site
Danny Greene has taken this concept of a modular removable interior to a fine art - and very effective it is too.
Here is a copy of an article he wrote for Cruising World describing his modular sailboat Brazen.

DannyGreeneBrazenP1.jpg

DannyGreeneBrazenP2.jpg

DannyGreeneBrazenP3.jpg

DannyGreeneBrazenP4.jpg

DannyGreeneBrazenP5.jpg

DannyGreeneBrazenP6.jpg

DannyGreeneBrazenP7.jpg

tomski

Visit site
Hi All, thank you for the advice, bought the ebook on steel maintenance and its a great read also :) well there is a lot of work to be done on her so I'm building a project list...i guess the way I'm going to divide this is (not sure of order yet but structural would be first)
-structural
-mechanical
-electrical
-rigging
-safety
-habitat
-cosmetics

tomski

Visit site
Hi Everyone, just wanted to say that I've updated my blog due to some issues on wordpress site and the fact that the name of the yacht has changed...so its

svrudy.wordpress.com

Have a look when you can :)

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
the Bruce Roberts is very well known in Australia/NZ part of the world so I'm comfortable with the design, she's well known and proven with thousands of owners around the world...

As to the project, well as you say, its brave but I am an optimist :)....oh and I've created the blog site...here is the link...

http://enkiyacht.wordpress.com/

Will officially start on her from weekend after next so have a look through every now and then :)

'enkiyacht.wordpress.com is no longer available.
The authors have deleted this blog.'