Well it is the Express . . . . but

Blueboatman

Visit site
England being Portugals oldest nominal ally, that was savvy politically and commercially.

It would be a smart follow on by other holiday destinations to woo travel weary Brit coinage too,no?

Why, it’s beginning to look like we’re
? “all good friends and jolly good company”?. Or all in this together or sommat ☀️☀️?

Kelpie

Visit site
It's also beginning to look at though EU member states always were free to control their own borders when it comes to third countries. I hope this doesn't cause much mental anguish amongst readers of the Daily Excrete.

Of course for those of us arriving on a boat this makes zero difference to anything, and UK nationals are still limited to 90/180.

Poignard

Visit site
It's also beginning to look at though EU member states always were free to control their own borders when it comes to third countries. I hope this doesn't cause much mental anguish amongst readers of the Daily Excrete.
[...]

Are you saying people were lied to?

But if they were, why did they believe the lies?

Visit site
Any reduction of friction in travel is good (for all legal travellers and the receiving/host country). As pointed out by some, however, the nub of the issue totally remains, which is the rediculous 90 days in 180. Of course, it is totally within the scope of the UK government to show effort and make headway on this matter so citizens of the UK have at least equality of opportunity and access with European citizens visiting the UK. Alas, they've done bugger all for its citizens, as per usual. The well-being of our existence both in the UK and Europe remains less than it was (indeed in practically every sphere of activity I can list)...So many lives unnecessarily ruined and way too many ill- informed, blinkered, passive citizens who are accepting of all the crap of which we are on the wrong end.

Poignard

Visit site
Any reduction of friction in travel is good (for all legal travellers and the receiving/host country). As pointed out by some, however, the nub of the issue totally remains, which is the rediculous 90 days in 180. Of course, it is totally within the scope of the UK government to show effort and make headway on this matter so citizens of the UK have at least equality of opportunity and access with European citizens visiting the UK. Alas, they've done bugger all for its citizens, as per usual. The well-being of our existence both in the UK and Europe remains less than it was (indeed in practically every sphere of activity I can list)...So many lives unnecessarily ruined and way too many ill- informed, blinkered, passive citizens who are accepting of all the crap of which we are on the wrong end.
Let me hasten to give your excellent post an approving thumbs-up before the thread gets locked! ?

[3889]

Visit site
Just quicker through passport control at airports. Although passport not stamped using e gates, the clock's still ticking in the database.
Don't think there is a database at the moment though promised for later this year?
Have used my Portuguese temp. residency to avoid stamping in EU countries for transit purposes, albeit not using e-gates, on a couple of ocassions and none have scanned my passport on entry.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Don't think there is a database at the moment though promised for later this year?
Have used my Portuguese temp. residency to avoid stamping in EU countries for transit purposes, albeit not using e-gates, on a couple of ocassions and none have scanned my passport on entry.

There certainly is a Portuguese one, when passports are scanned at airport on entry, it shows history so they know exactly when we come and go.

Sailfree

Visit site
We have Portuguse residency and our passports do not get stamped even if we arrive by Ferry via France or Spain or fly to Lisbon.

However our passports are scanned so they know when we arrived but not sure there is an EU wide system that links arrival and departures in different EU countries.

At UK passport control one officer remarked "you have a house in Portugal" but interestingly did not say "you are a resident of Portugal"

Currently we only have paper residence certificates but hopefully SEF position will get sorted soon and Portugal will again issue biometric residency cards.

Note SEF have started reissuing these in Maderia but Portuguese Government are prevarication whether SEF as an organisation is to be disbanded and replaced.

Yngmar

Visit site
However our passports are scanned so they know when we arrived but not sure there is an EU wide system that links arrival and departures in different EU countries.

Not yet, but soon: Entry-Exit System

Supposed to go live in September, but like all such projects, delays wouldn't be surprising. At that point entry/exit will be tracked in a central database and over-staying will be flagged automatically, so it'll be difficult to stay under the radar.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site

Of course for those of us arriving on a boat this makes zero difference to anything, and UK nationals are still limited to 90/180.

Hi , I agree,however, I have been permanently based in Greece for two years ,I do have Greek residency, but not once in this time have I been asked to provide details of my stay .
Last season I visited probably 15 islands ,this year I have been in Porto rafti , Lavrio, Poros and Aegina.
No one is interested in asking difficult questions about my stay.

Make your own judgements.

AndrewB

Visit site
EU Border Control seems a bit shambolic. When we drove out from England in November, we held out our new Greek residency permits at the French control point in Dover. Not interested! They stamped our passports anyway. Returning from Greece four months later, we feared French border control in Calais would tell us we had been in EU too long, and dream up some extortionate penalty we'd have to fight. But they didn't even open our passports, just waved us through.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
EU Border Control seems a bit shambolic. When we drove out from England in November, we held out our new Greek residency permits at the French control point in Dover. Not interested! They stamped our passports anyway. Returning from Greece four months later, we feared French border control in Calais would tell us we had been in EU too long, and dream up some extortionate penalty we'd have to fight. But they didn't even open our passports, just waved us through.

So, according to passport stamps you're still there?