Weatherfax

G

Is buying a weather fax a good idea when some UK stations will stop emitting ?

G

I think I'd buy either a "communications" receiver or get either a ham licence and/or the lrc for ham and/or marine bands. Probably much more fun - just think you could pass time on passage decoding all sorts of burbles and aqueaks whereas your "weatherfax" can only give you limited pictures corrupted by noise - and you might even listen/talk to others over the air if you choose!

G

Re: Yep....

Its not the UK stations that you tend to use anyway. Best is Hamburg and they broadcast across a large number of frequencies.

Having been very frustrated by the lack of decent weather info at sea and away from the Uk I have tried a number of sources. The Furuno 207 dedicated weatherfax is limited to pictures/synoptic charts only. To get an understanding of the weather you need both a verbal picture/forecast and the synoptic chart. The combination of both a navtex receiver and a wefax will give you this but a much simpler solution is a laptop, SSB receiver and good wefax software which also gives RTTY info.

RTTY is radio telephony and in addition to giving current weather at worldwide locations, it can give you 5 day forecasts for many areas (depending upon your transmitting station)

Good software allows you to tune your radio on the computer screen and some will even do this automatically.

I set my system up at home for the winter and have improved my understanding of its operation with daily adjustments.

It also lets me view weather in other parts of the world and wish I was there!

G

Re: Yep....

Out of interest what software do you use and which frequencies? I use 10100.8 kHz for rtty, hamcomm or whatever else will decode.