we have been using her (holliday pics)

BartW

www.amptec.be
I shall be in Dubrovnic next week (only for the day) and these pictures really reminded me of why it is one of my favourite places.

xx

if you're there don't forget to walk through Stradun (the main street in the old town)
have a drink on a terrace at the end,
and remember me ;)

AndieMac

Visit site
AndyC...............

Its no secret I'm a big fan of trailable boats, but with your arrangement, how do you go with keeping batteries charged and maintainance issues with the boat being left for long periods of time between visits?

You seem to have a good arrangement with a boat at home and one away.

BartW

www.amptec.be
AndyC...............

Its no secret I'm a big fan of trailable boats, but with your arrangement, how do you go with keeping batteries charged and maintainance issues with the boat being left for long periods of time between visits?

Hi Andy,
in the boat I have a good quality (Victron) charger / invertor fitted.
at home the boat is in my warehouse, usually connected to 230V

I have two engines, and each of them have a separate battery. I have a bypass relay connected between these two battery's.
all domestic users are connected to the Port battery.

During weekend trips here in Belgium and Holland, sometimes the boat is connected to shore power, not alway's.
In Croatia the boat is never connected to shore power.

I can leave one fridge ON during one night, and still have enough power to start the engine in the morning. Everything else is switched OFF during the night,

if we have been using too much power during the night, 2nd fridge, lights, and in the morning the water cooker, then one battery is exhausted.

then I start the other engine, switch on the bypass relay, so that I can start the engine with the exhausted battery, and let it run for some time...:)

when the boat is left alone for some time either on or off the trailer, I make sure that all lecies are switched off.
Until today I alway's had enough power to switch on at least one engine after such a period. And then eventually use the bypass relay.

about maintenance,
I do not quite understand the question, all deck and electric things I do myself (or someone at my company ;)) and for the engine issues I bring the boat on the trailer to a service center here locally or wherever it is needed.
On the boat I have a large toolcase ;)

I have alway's liked the trailering, some people hate the hassle, for me it is part of the boating, and you're so flexible to go boating wherever you want, and work on the boat at home, that really is a big advantage.
the negative point for me is the size of a trailable boat, (I don't like small cuddy's and bow riders)
but with this Karnic it's no topic anymore. :D

AndieMac

Visit site
Bart..... a little mis-understanding with whom the question was directed at.:)

With AndyC (not AndieMac) having his boat (one of) in Croatia, and he living in the UK, being left unattended for long periods of time, presumably in a storage yard/facility.........how does the maintainance thing work?

BTW BartW.....make sure you stay with the trailable concept, I'm hearing rumours about you and moored boats:D

BartW

www.amptec.be
Bart..... a little mis-understanding with whom the question was directed at.:)

With AndyC (not AndieMac) having his boat (one of) in Croatia, and he living in the UK, being left unattended for long periods of time, presumably in a storage yard/facility.........how does the maintainance thing work?

BTW BartW.....make sure you stay with the trailable concept, I'm hearing rumours about you and moored boats:D

oooooph what a big mistake,.... but also interested in AndyC's answer :)

he made me head going crazy thinking about a second boat,
even a non trailable one, go on !!!! :(

andyc

Visit site
I guess you didn't tow her all the way like that, dingy on the back, fenders out and sterndrive half down :D :D :D

No I had just moved it away from the crane to clean it up .I left the boat there in my mother in laws Garage.We had such a great time the first year I decided I didnt want to return it to the UK ,its still there.I do 2 weeks in June and 4 weeks in August.

andyc

Visit site
AndyC...............

We go there frequenty and keep in it my Mother in laws garage .The batteries are removed and they dont seem to loose charge .I charge the Batteries when I go in spring and fill the engine with antifreeze to prevent corrosion after every use.I have now removed all the antifouling as it never stays in the water very long and is about 6-7 knots quicker.

I service it myself and Volvo penta dealer is as good as in UK,even in August.

I must say I missed boating between visits which is why I brought the one here,although I was only looking for a 30ft ish boat.

I just brought another ,much faster and lighter boat and will take it out there next year sometime once I have prepared it and sell the other one.
I know a couple of people that keep trail boats out there.Its as easy as keeping it in store in the solent.

sorry , not trying to Hijack the thread.

Last edited:

AndieMac

Visit site
Its merely expanding slightly on the original post...:)

Sounds as though you have a great set-up with the family connection on the Adriatic Coast.

Who knows you may even catch up with Bart out there sometime:cool:

BartW

www.amptec.be
We go there frequenty and keep in it my Mother in laws garage .The batteries are removed and they dont seem to loose charge .I charge the Batteries when I go in spring and fill the engine with antifreeze to prevent corrosion after every use.I have now removed all the antifouling as it never stays in the water very long and is about 6-7 knots quicker.

I service it myself and Volvo penta dealer is as good as in UK,even in August.

I must say I missed boating between visits which is why I brought the one here,although I was only looking for a 30ft ish boat.

I just brought another ,much faster and lighter boat and will take it out there next year sometime once I have prepared it and sell the other one.
I know a couple of people that keep trail boats out there.Its as easy as keeping it in store in the solent.

sorry , not trying to Hijack the thread.

AndyC;
and what kind is the newer one ?

Andy Mac;
maybe from downunder the med looks like a small lake,
but there is at least 300nm distance between Sicily and Croatia,
so chances are small that we "accidently" meet with Andyc,
although I should go there one day...

GrowingLad

Visit site
Thanks for the write up Bart, it looks and sounds absolutely fantastic.

Funnily enough we just got back yesterday after two weeks with the boat. It's the first proper use I've had with my boat and 2nd mate is only 3 months old so nothing too adventurous just yet...plus the weather took a bit of a turn for the worse unfortunately.

Your boat looks a beaut!! She's just the thing for over here....