we are going to get a dog

mike_bryon

Visit site
It’s not only in exotic locations where you have to take security seriously. One of the other liveaboard boats here (Cowes) had two men climb onboard during the night. They confronted them and they fled after an initial show of defiance.

Can anyone tell us how long it took them to get a EU pet passport. We do not need to wait for the six months qualifying time before re-entering the UK as we don’t plan to come back!

Thanks

Brierley

Visit site
Firstly you have to get your dog microchipped and get the chip registered. That took about two weeks for my puppy. Then you will need to get your dog vaccinated against rabies and have blood tests done at the vet to certify the dog is free of certain illnesses. You will need a vet with a special licence to issue the passport - more details here

http://tinyurl.com/yosfnd

If you are not planning to bring your dog back to the UK, why are you bothering with a pet passport?

LadyJessie

Visit site
You still need a Pet Passport for the EU and most other countries to show vaccinations and health tests. EU has now harmonised the rules and they are now the same for all countries, except (of course!) the UK which has still slightly different rules. I don't know the details but check the webpage of DEFRA and the French Agricultural Ministry (available in English) which has excellent information on the rules. I have an EU passport for my dog but must admit that no one has ever asked to see it, much to the disappointment of my dog who is rather proud of it.

mike_bryon

Visit site
Thanks brierley and ladyjessie we have established the process and the new rules from the various websites but would welcome an indication as to how long the process took others.

LadyJessie

Visit site
If you get a puppy, you have to get all the puppy vaccinations and a microchip from a vet. My vet in France did this the same afternoon as I called. Then you need to wait 30 days after the rabies shots for a blood test which then needs to be sent off to a lab for check. Response will probably vary with lab used, The French lab took one week to respond. Then you need to take all that documentation back to the vet who will input it into the passport and Robert est ton oncle.

Brierley

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks brierley and ladyjessie we have established the process and the new rules from the various websites but would welcome an indication as to how long the process took others.

[/ QUOTE ]

We had our puppy chipped and registered as we plan to get her passport at some point, though we don't need it just yet. The vet told us to expect it to take around 6-8 weeks from the time of the first rabies vaccination to receiving the passport to allow for blood tests/lab time and Royal Mail !

Melody

www.aegeansailingschool.com
I don't know where you are heading but ..

... why don't you wait and get a dog en route? Lots of dogs needing homes outside the UK where they may be living on the streets in danger of being poisoned. Then local vet can do the paperwork and once you have waited appropriate length of time you can get an EU passport.

If you are leaving UK with dog and no return date you may need a livestock export document (yes, I'm serious!). No-one outside UK will ever look at it but the port authorities in UK may demand it.

lille_bee

Visit site
Rabies vaccines, like almost all vaccines, need time to develop their protective effect on the body; only after 4-6 weeks will a dog's immune system have produced enough antibodies and immunoglobulins in response to the vaccine, to afford adequate protection against rabies. This is the cause for the "waiting time", not just the slow speed of paperwork & postal services...

mike_bryon

Visit site
We are hoping to get a short haired Jack Russell bitch in the next few weeks. We are heading for Venice the end of June and will spend two months getting there. We will sail the eastern med each summer before going off sailing for a few years.

The dog’s rank of security officer is a serious one and of course the kids really want one. We want the role filled before we leave and the rate of passage does not allow a long enough stay to sort out a stray dog. This choice is determined by one that is boat size and does not take to the water too readily. We think it kinder to get a puppy so she can grow up accustomed to being afloat.

I have spoken to a vet and he said that the blood sample is taken three to four weeks after the inoculation.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

LadyJessie

Visit site
Good luck with your Jack Russel! It is a good choice in size and getting her as a puppy. Older dogs have some difficulties getting used to the boat life while a puppy will have no problems at all.

Brierley

Visit site
I don't want to put a dampner on your plan - but have you ever owned a terrier before? My friend used to breed them and she says it is rare to get one that doesn't need significant daily exercise. My 6 month old bitch does about 5 miles per day in two walking sessions and she is still hyper in the evenings. My friends' two JRTs regularly do half marathon walks with us and have a similar amount of daily exercise. Terriers of all kinds also need a lot of training and to know that their place is at the bottom of the food chain! We started puppy classes at 11 weeks old (as soon as the vet gave the ok after her jabs) and within 4 weeks, one of the other owners had rehomed their JRT as they couldn't cope.

Don't make the mistake of thinking a smaller dog is easier than a larger breed - often the opposite is true. Larger breeds of dog have less to prove whereas a Jack Russell will need very firm handling to ensure you are top dog, rather than her. That is where they get their snappy reputation from - owners being lower down the pack!

Also, I'm not sure how you're going to manage to spay her in such a short timescale which will surely be a necessity for a boat dog. Having a 3 week season twice a year with blood and discharge is difficult enough to cope with in a house with a garden - it will be infinitely more difficult on a boat.

Skents

www.theiguana.co.uk
As liveaboards with a terrier (and veterans of much lamented previous terriers) I would say that a Jack Russell can make an excellent crew member. I'd make the following points:-

1. They do enjoy plentiful exercise but if you're a liveaboard whose personal space is pretty limited at home you probably will enjoy a good walk too.

2. On a boat you spend a lot of time in close confines with your dog and can pay attention to training easily. Terriers can train you rather than the other way round but then again spaniels can be nuts, bored collies destructive, etc.

3. Little dogs have a lower centre of gravity than big ones and find it easier to find their sealegs. A big dog is far harder to carry up a ladder, lift from dinghy or rescue from a dog overboard scenario.

4. Smaller dogs mean smaller "packages" to clean up on the foredeck.

5. Our winter quarters are shared with six liveaboard boats - four of them have much loved dogs on board.

If you like Jack Russells please don't be put off having one aboard. Of course a dog is a lot of work and a big commitment but that is true whether you live ashore or afloat.

Skents

www.theiguana.co.uk
Really sorry about this...but to be truthful, I am abusing this thread to try posting a picture for the first time.

Spike.jpg

Well, he is my liveaboard terrier - so hope it is vaguely relevant.

dweeze

www.buckscoop.com.au
not 100% sure what sort of security your going to get out of a Jack Russel.

There's different types of vaccination. Some are a single dose some have a follow up. The 6-8 weeks is a good amount of time to allocate to allow for stuffing around.

We've not had anyone ask or care about our dog except in Aldernay who broadcast over VHF that you can land animals that have been outside the 'UK' - ie france.

PS - good to see someone just 'getting one' as opposed to agonising over it.

mike_bryon

Visit site
I can’t see the need for agonising either we put the kids and ourselves through the live aboard thing so why not a dog. We walk everywhere, no car, and my work as a writer means any excuse to go out is very welcomed. We hope while small our terrier will act as a burglar alarm without the need for batteries or shore power and be good if needed for a bit of noise and confusion. We might well go for a litter in a couple of years. Great education for the kids.

Thanks again everyone.

Brian_B

Visit site
I think you should check the DEFRA website. Even if you get the dog passported you can’t just set sail. The scheme only works at specified ports and on specified routes and you have to transport the dog by ferry or by air.

I agree with other contributors, JRTs can appear to be hyperactive for the first 5 years, but the same goes for many other breeds. You have to be very firm with terriers right from the start or they’ll have you are their beck and call.

mike_bryon

Visit site
Yes we have read the DEFRA website. No need to transport the dog by ferry or air and we will just get a pet passport and set sail – all ok because we are not coming back to the UK.

I’ve owned and trained dogs before.