Waypoints

G

There is no doubt that GPS is very accurate now. So when inputting waypoints which are navigational marks (bouys) you may well be using the info from an almanac. Question? Do you input the exact info or "allow" for missing the mark. I personally have a chart plotter and would always input using the cursor and allow enough searoom to miss the mark. What do you do?

G

Re: Miss the mark

I miss the marks. Partly, I don't trust myself not to go too accurately at the track. Also, there are better waypoints. peter Cumberlidges English Channel Waypoints work well, with each waypoint sensibly leading to another, or offering a fork along a different track, and so on.

jfkal

Visit site
Allow for room. GPS gives you a false sense of accuracy. GPS might be on the dot but not necessarily the chart (as related to the actual global position). Well depends were you are. But there are charts out there who are based on fairly old (inaccurate) information. So using accurate GPS on "inaccurate charts" is asking for trouble.

G

I do both, I have a set of way points that I use for routes ie they don't crash me into markers or buoys, and a set of waypoints that are spot on the markers which I enable an alarm on as well. To check the accuracy of the markers and buoys I initially go for a sail close to he marks I have put in. I know you can't do this for marks that are far away.

The discussion shows the need to still keep an eye out as you may think you have shifted the waypoint away from the mark but if the mark is in the wrong place and you shift the co-ordinates to clear it you may well have put the co-ordinates back on the mark!! So don't just set the GPS and Autopilot and go to sleep!

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Re: Checking Waypoints

Having set in a series of weypoints, I always check them by setting them up as a route, and then activating the route, which shows distance and bearing to next waypoint.

As I recon i am lexdislik, I frequently enter the them wrong, and this allows me to check my route for accuracy against the chart and that there are no solid bits in between.

G

I always set mine accurately but wished the buoys were made out of rubber instead oof metal.
Now I have an ex naval destroyer I don't worry, just shhot the darn things outa tha water

B

bob_tyler

Be careful not to set a waypoint to Falmouth, Michigan when you intend to go to Falmouth, Cornwall! A slightly longer trip?

steffen

Visit site

I go the other way around: i use my Yeoman to plot and check the route and then transfer the waypoints from the Yeoman reading to the GPS. Works a treat.

Chris_Robb

Visit site

I was given a Yoeman plotter last year , but I've never used it. I could not be bothered to conect it in.

Is it worth it, and is it easy to connect????

ccscott49

Visit site

Easy to connect, mines' all connected, but I hardly ever use it, I prefer to plot with a pencil parralel rule etc, gives me a better visual understanding of what is going on.

Chris_Robb

Visit site

That precisley why I have not bothered. It takes some 15 secs to plot a position, so I was not certain what the benefit was. I suppose it may be faster to put in new waypoints, - but i have probably got most of the western channel and south brittany in all ready! Besides on a long trip I need something to do!

ccscott49

Visit site

Totally agree, I enjoy doing the plotting, then checking GPS with log and handheld compass if poss, racons, distance off, dead reckonig, buoys etc the whole gamut, my boat is not fast, so I have plenty of time to look at things, if I get worried about pilotage, stop until I figure it out!