Waypoints on Navionics

OceanSprint

Visit site
I've seen posts on several threads saying you can't enter waypoints into Navionics.

The way I do it is:

- Press the magnifying glass symbol in the top left of screen.

- In the "Search Menu" press the "Lat/Long" button in the top right of the menu.

- Dial in the Lat and Long of the Waypoint

- Press the "Show on map" button

- This shows a grey box on the map with lat/long in it. This grey box has a small arrow to the right of it - press this

- Choose the "Add to favoutites" option

- Then add a name of the Waypoint by deleting "Home Marker" and adding your own name

- This shows as a blue pin on map

If you have the "Sync my data" option in settings selected, waypoints will be transferred to any device you have Navionics installed - I think.

A bit clunky, but works.

roblpm

Visit site
Just tried this on my phone as I am off to an anchorage in the forth tonight. I don't have to dial in the lat and long. It comes up automatically?

Anyway great tip. Thanks a lot.

OceanSprint

Visit site
I think it starts with the Lat and Long of where the cursor is on the map.

But you can dial in any Lat and Long - no need to move the cursor to where the waypoint is first ?

roblpm

Visit site
I think it starts with the Lat and Long of where the cursor is on the map.

But you can dial in any Lat and Long - no need to move the cursor to where the waypoint is first ?

Aha i see what you mean. Thats exactly right. However I have no idea of where I want to go apart from centring the map on the screen, so no need for me to type it in!!

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
ok, it works but it's of limited use 'cos you can't use such markers in routes and you still can't move route points or edit them other than by deleting back from the end of the route

despite all the enhancements and updates Nvionics on Android remains fundamentally broken and of limited use (and it seems there is no intention to ever fix it)

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Started up my Android Navioics to try this waypoint technique and suddenly see that I now have tidal information and curves which I have never noticed before! It's for the Med so it's not a great deal of use but interesting nevertheless.

Richard

OceanSprint

Visit site
ok, it works but it's of limited use 'cos you can't use such markers in routes and you still can't move route points or edit them other than by deleting back from the end of the route

despite all the enhancements and updates Nvionics on Android remains fundamentally broken and of limited use (and it seems there is no intention to ever fix it)

It seems such a weird position for Navionics to take, as that function must be quite easy to programme in, with quite simple pieces of code. And it would add such a lot to the functionality and what all users would naturally expect from a charting system. Making a route up "on the fly" by just touching points doesn't fit the bill as far as I am concerned. I want routes I have edited myself with known waypoints.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
It seems such a weird position for Navionics to take, as that function must be quite easy to programme in, with quite simple pieces of code. And it would add such a lot to the functionality and what all users would naturally expect from a charting system. Making a route up "on the fly" by just touching points doesn't fit the bill as far as I am concerned. I want routes I have edited myself with known waypoints.

I'm as mystified as you. And you can't get any sort of answer from the company about it, they just duck the issue completely (the response is always the same piece of boiler plate help text telling you how to move a waypoint - a process which has never worked on Android devices)

(I do however like the much improved clarity of the vector charting on the latest version of UK and Europe, much more readable)

FistralG

Visit site
On my iPad I just tap the map where I want the waypoint to appear.

i can drag the waypoints around until I'm happy with them all then save the route.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Oh yes, it all works on i-pad / i-phone just as it should. It doesn't work on Android devices and Navionics won't even acknowledge that there's a bug

OceanSprint

Visit site
On my iPad I just tap the map where I want the waypoint to appear.

i can drag the waypoints around until I'm happy with them all then save the route.

But I have a set of waypoints derived from paper charts. I want to put these in manually by lat and long, not just tap a spot sort of "near-by". Hence the need for proper waypoints and routes.

hannahlynn

Visit site
Can anyone tell me how to see the lat and long of the waypoints of a route I have created in navionics? I want to plot them on a paper chart and short of exporting to a different programme I can't see how to view the lat and long in situ in the app..

westhinder

Visit site
You can see lat and long as you create the waypoint. It is shown in the side panel on the left hand side of the screen, at least it is on my iPad. But I can find them afterwards either, only lat and long of start and finish of the route. Hoping to be enlightened too.

steve yates

Visit site
Can anyone tell me how to see the lat and long of the waypoints of a route I have created in navionics? I want to plot them on a paper chart and short of exporting to a different programme I can't see how to view the lat and long in situ in the app..
I’m positive my previous versions showed this on the waypoint screen at top right, but not anymore. Regardless, the work around I use is to tap the screen and get the crosshais showing, move the map so your waypoint is on the crosshairs. Tap the question mark. This show the lat/long on your iphone, but on ipad it’s top of the side screen, where the geniuses have made it so you cant see the longitude….. but if youtap the marker icon it then opens up to give you the full position, just dont select any marker but note the figs down and close that screen.

Shaddickp

Visit site
From memory can you not export a file based on routes
I'm not sure if you refering to the Andriod or Ipad version but in Android routes can be exported as a GPX file, which can be loaded into pretty much any navigation software. You go into Routes, select the Route, then press the Share button, and under 'Other Options' is a 'Export GPX File' option, this then fires up the usual how to share screens and you can email it, save as a file etc..

finestgreen

Visit site
I'm not sure if you refering to the Andriod or Ipad version but in Android routes can be exported as a GPX file, which can be loaded into pretty much any navigation software. You go into Routes, select the Route, then press the Share button, and under 'Other Options' is a 'Export GPX File' option, this then fires up the usual how to share screens and you can email it, save as a file etc..

Same for Markers