Waterline weed

xhurleyman

Visit site
Good day ladies and gents. I have Coppercoated my boat but regardless of burnishing the Coppercoat occasionally I still get waterline weed, can I antifoul on top of the coppercoat down from the waterline about 4 inches. Will it stay on and be effective?
Thanks.

Biggles Wader

Visit site
If it is just the waterline a quick rub with a scrubbing brush will get rid of it. If it covers the hull lower down then that might need a lift out

Daydream believer

Visit site
I get the same and it get to 8 inches long in as little as 3 weeks. Comes off easily with a stiff brush but copper coat really needs a start of season and a mid season jet wash if you want to keep the hull clean

MikeBz

Visit site
We scrubbed 2 weeks ago and already have a fearsome amount of green waterline weed/beard. CuPro antifoul. I think it's just to be expected at this time of year and in this weather regardless of which antifoul you use.

johnalison

Visit site
I've been feeding the weed with Hempel Tiger and had an impressive fringe this week. I had a go at it with a scouring pad on a pole. A brush wouldn't have touched it.

westhinder

Visit site
Same here, a fringe of weed along the waterline. Not due to a lack of sailing, as you might suspect, we have clocked up 2200 nm so far. Last year we had the same, with a similar mileage. I’m beginning to wonder whether the active ingrediënt in Micron gets washed out after a certain number of miles. After our trip, when the boat gets used less, the weed starts to grow fast. The rest of the hull only has some slime. Next season the waterline will get an extra layer of AF.

Halo

Visit site
Ooops - just started a similar thread. I have just pressure washed the weed from around my waterline - worked a treat - no scrubbing and no wet and weedy brush to sort out. She was afloat alongside a ponton at the time.

xhurleyman

Visit site
Thanks all of you, so its another bit of elbow grease. It has nothing to do with sailing as I have been for the last three months! It just grows when it wants to. I will get some pan scourers and go and dry out soon. I just thought there might be some new antifoul which would halt or slow down this annoyance!

Uno

Visit site
I think the resin that is used for copper coat is epoxy resin which is waterproof when set, whatever is in the copper powder in copper coat i feel is locked into this waterproof layer .. have you tried sanding the surface to try to expose some of the copper to the water.
Having said that I was told that Copper is good against shell type fouling and not as good for weed and slime.