Water treatment units in Spanish marinas.

pcatterall

Visit site
I am seeing more and more 'filtration units on our pontoons in Spain.

The town water has lots of chlorine and we only use it for washing and cooking.

Do these kits make the water fit to drink?
I guess we would have to do a bit of plumbing to connect direct to the taps but it would be nice to avoid using our noisy pump. We could also fill our 100 gallon tank with decent water when we set off.
Any experience anyone???,

westernman

www.devalk.nl

I guess we would have to do a bit of plumbing to connect direct to the taps but it would be nice to avoid using our noisy pump. We could also fill our 100 gallon tank with decent water when we set off.
The town tap water will be fit to drink.
You and others might not like the taste. Hence the filtration units you see.

penfold

Visit site
The chlorine in it makes it fit(and keeps it fit) to drink. I'd assume the units are carbon filters to remove the taste, easy enough to fit one to the galley tap, or to reduce the frequency of replacement a separate drinking water tap could be installed.

Beneteau381

Visit site

A lot of Spanish boats tie their water systems direct to the pontoon supply and leave it connected, antisocial if not enough taps! Also I believe dangerous because as I understand it, eu regs forbid this practice because potentially the boat water could backflow in to the mains and contaminate the pontoon supply with legionella etc
PS remember a few years back when uk marinas took away communal hoses because of this?

davethedog

Visit site
We used the water filters between the dockside tap and the boat inlet when in gran Canaria as the water is all desalinated and contained a certain amount of grit like particles that could block the filters on the water pumps etc.

Not sure if that is the same reason in the Spanish peninsula.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
The chlorine in it makes it fit(and keeps it fit) to drink. I'd assume the units are carbon filters to remove the taste, easy enough to fit one to the galley tap, or to reduce the frequency of replacement a separate drinking water tap could be installed.

Overuse of chlorine in some areas is a problem so I fitted an Aquasource filter to tank outlet, which feeds all taps, They're available with either 12mm or 15mm tails and remove the bad taste but not bacteria. Change every 12-18 months after about 9 months living aboard. https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/10031289695?iid=314598800889

westernman

www.devalk.nl

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
Not the med, but the west coast of Scotland. In many of the more remote places the water comes off the hill, i.e. a private supply. This often filtered, but not chlorinated.
Many years ago, when my late wife was ill late stage cancer, I fitted a 10 micron carbon filter on the outlet of the fresh water tank, just after the pump, and a second sub-micro filter piped to a separate faucet at the galley sink.
Just make sure she didn't pick up any water born infections.
It provides great drinking water, free of the taste of chlorine.
Very easy to fit and easy to maintain, and as far as I can see effective.
My not sure it's strictly necessary now. But it's installed and in daily use over the summer.

vas

Visit site
All I can say is from personal experience and other people in the same marina, all the water filters had dirty filters and needed changing often,.
may well be (and probably is!) the pipework/infrastructure is old and misbehaving. Had that here as well, most roads dug, new pipes fitted. Still I have what Clancy Moped has under the sink at home, gives nice clean water for drinking/cooking/tea/coffee.