Water Tank

DPH

Visit site
I laid my boat up back in November, although I had the engine winterised etc I only emptied the water tank by leaving the taps on until nothing came out. I’m assuming there’s probably a bit left in the tank.

Should I have put something in the water tank to inhibit anything growing in it?

Secondly, since I didn’t, is there anything I can do when the boat goes back in to make sure it’s safe for drinking?

Chris_Stannard

Visit site
Pour a bottle of Milton in and half fill the tanks, slosh it around a bit (go out and find a few stink boats, to give you a bit of wash,) then emtpy the tanks and refill.

Should do the trick

Chris Stannard

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site
Dave,

I have never managed to convince the wife that the tank water in my mirage is safe to drink, I think the bugs get into the plastic pipes. The first half gallon through the tap even after 1 week would in no way be drinkable.
If you intend to drink the tank water then you cannot leave any chemicals in the water and any used to clean the tank must be completely flushed out.
As we use a separate supply for drinking water which we put on fresh for each trip, I leave either sodium metabisulpite or Presept disinfectant granules (active chemical is Dichloroisocyanurate sodium salt) this kills all the bugs even in the pipes but renders the water unsafe for drinking, we use it for everything else.
Hope this info helps
Cheers
Trevor

ccscott49

Visit site
For drinking water I use a seperate line from the main tanks, through a little filter, available from general ecology in brighton, the system comes with its own little tap, then you can treat the tanks with anything you want and the drinking water is still pure and safe.

stretch33

Visit site
Agree with Chris, once gone through his exercise rinse out then drop in a Sodium Hypochlorite tab.These are what we use at work for sterilising water tanks, they will leave a slight Chlorine taste initially but this is normal. You will not have to mt this out. Whereabouts are you ?
Phil

Boathook

Visit site
I soak and rinse mine with sodium metabysulphate? from Boots or any other good beer brewing shop. It taints the tanks for the first couple of fills but there after is OK for the season and used for drinking (except for the first fills) Boots now stock another chemical that seems even better and quicker without any taint. I will be trying this in the next fortnight. It's also worth cleaning the hose that fills the tanks. 20 years of doing this seems to of saved us from any major problem.

DPH

Visit site
Thankks

Thanks for the replies.

I'm inclined to go for using Milton on the basis that if it's safe for babies!

LeonF

Visit site
Dave
You didn't say what sort of tanks you have. My boat had been laid up for eighteen months having a new bottom when i bought her and the water was foul. The vendor who re-commissioned her filled her with milton then flushed her twelve times but the water was acrid and undrinkable. I decided to explore and clean the tanks completely--they are built in GRP. On opening them up I discoverd that because of reverse osmosis they had been replaced with tailor made flexi tanks made from black polyester. I phoned the manufacturers who were against me using milton. The original instructions on the tank recommended non-biological household detergent. A couple of runs with Persil and copious rinsing and the emission of lots of slime and the water is now crystal clear. I plan to install an inline filter and hope it lasts through the season.

L.A.R.Ferguson

LeonF

Visit site
Chris
Can I use a general ecology filter with a manual system? I have a simple Whale flipper on my galley sink and wonder if I need a pressure system to get through it as it seems to be much more comprehensive than the others on the market.
Leon

L.A.R.Ferguson

ArthurWood

Visit site
Probably would have been a good idea to run a non-toxic anti-freeze solution through the system before lay up as some water will lie in hoses and pump. Vodka is cheaper than anti-freeze and will do the job. Flushing may or may not be necessary before drinking!!
Been using on-board-tank water for drinking for over 12 years in sub-tropical climate without cleaning tank once, with no problems. (bottled water costs a lot more than petrol over here). When filling, I use ian n-line filter attached at boat end of hose and use filter on galley tap. Never had a problem of bad taste or tummy trouble. Perhaps American beer has destroyed taste buds:)
Don't know why anyone would use anything other than say Milton/hypochlorite to disinfect. This is easy to remove and is not hazardous, unlike other stuff mentioned in thread. Article in this month's Motorboat & Sailing (US) recommends following:
-make sure electric water heater if fitted is turned off
-drain complete system using all taps
-flush twice with two full tanks of water using all taps to remove much of any sedimant
-add disinfecting product recommended for marine use, eg tablets or StarBrite Aqua Clean (dissolves sediment).
-leave overnight
-flush thoroughly or until accpetable taste/odour
-always refill using in-line filter on hose - about 30quid in UK, $30 in US. Lasts a year or more.

Fit filter to drinking water tap or in-line in boat system