Water stain

chris66

xoomer.alice.it
I have an untreated teak faced surface in the cabin and over the winter an electrician left a wet cup on the teak which now has an unpleasant white ring on it....

Other than a) shouting at the electrician /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif b) varnishing the surface what can I do ? I could only think of sanding down (although there's only 2 or 3mm of teak) or using a bleacher, but wouldn't that only leave a lighter area which would show up more, or else maybe I'd have to settle for bleaching the entire surface? MMmmmm /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif??

All and any comments are most welcome !
Thank,

Talbot

Visit site
you can get "white ring remover", but I have also used a set of special felt tipped crayons which contain different colour stains, which you use (lightest one first) to match the colour of the surrounding wood.

meows

Visit site
The polish has 'frozen' it just needs warming to get it back. (eg the meths on fire method )
1 Try very gentle rubbing with very fine steel wool - with the grain to move old polish - Then
2. rub very hard with a soft cloth, trying to get it hot with friction, this takes time but it will get it out.
Roj. M

chris66

xoomer.alice.it
I've actually never polished the teak. Would it perhaps have come pretreated ?
If I when I manage to remove the stain, what is the best way to treat it. I assumed cabin varnish, although someone mentioned a new product called "Patina", if anybody has heard of it ?
Thanks

Captain Coochie

Visit site
Patina is what the timber produces naturally so if you have untreated timber you will already have a natural patina finish . The older the timber the more oil is released to the surface giving a harder patina . I think /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cliff

Visit site
Remove the "stain" by carefully using a sharp cabinet scraper, then apply what ever finish you care to use over the whole panel.
--------------------
hammer.thumb.gif
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"

pampas

Visit site
paint the stain with lime juice as concentrated as possible. leave to soak but NOT dry wash with fresh water, hey presto a clean piece of teak.

Dipper

Visit site
I'm a great fan of Danish oil. I use this on all my untreated interior teak and teak faced ply. This should at the very least reduce the effect of the ring if not mask it completely.

Observe the warnings regarding storage of old rags that have been used to apply the Danish oil. They can self ignite!