Water maker.

SpottyDog5

Visit site
Apologises for the double post, I have posted this on the motorboat forum, but I think the live board forum might throw up some good advice from the peeps on here too.

We have possibility of a mid river mooring, generating our own power isn't a problem, but the water supply is.

Moving the boat to fill with water may be a bit of chore.
We consume quite a bit of water, with fresh water loos, showers and a washing machine.
I didn't appreciate a water maker could produce so much, although very power hungry, the solution maybe to run a bigger watermaker over a short time?
We have a 20 kva Onan generator fitted.
Any thoughts most welcome.
Cheers
Roy

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Apologises for the double post, I have posted this on the motorboat forum, but I think the live board forum might throw up some good advice from the peeps on here too.

We have possibility of a mid river mooring, generating our own power isn't a problem, but the water supply is.

We consume quite a bit of water, with fresh water loos, showers and a washing machine.
I didn't appreciate a water maker could produce so much, although very power hungry, the solution maybe to run a bigger watermaker over a short time?
Cheers
Roy

Surely the river is fresh water although you might not want to drink it. Why not have a small tank (or polykegs) for drinking water and just fill the shower / toliet / washing machine tank from the river?

Richard

tcm

Visit site

Cheers
Roy

PLenty of power with that generator! Talk to the nice folk at Advance Yacht Systems, Caroline oldham is a nice contact , emai = her name without gaps at advanceyacht dot co dot uk

rivonia

Visit site
Surely the river is fresh water although you might not want to drink it. Why not have a small tank (or polykegs) for drinking water and just fill the shower / toliet / washing machine tank from the river?

Richard

NO NO NO Do not use river water for a washing machine or shower. However it would be OK for flushing toilets IF it came through a good mesh filter first.

ribrage

Visit site
The trouble with many rivers is the amount of silt held in suspension - a water maker will need a lot of attention if it's run under those conditions.

Joys of living aboard mid river ( assumption) is having to ferry water back and forth or going alongside to refill tanks - one of life's trade offs ?

pmyatt

Visit site
Absolutely no problem; we use our water maker everywhere, sea, river and polluted harbour. It's just a question of pre and post production treatment. Pre production means putting in a series of extra filters before the priming pump - mesh / 50 micron / 20 micron / 5 micron. Post production means using an in-line UV light tube filter arrangement to kill any remaining viruses in the product water - Sea Recovery do one. Nuclear submarines recycle all their water! Remember, marine water makers are only reduced-size commercial systems so, if you have the space, look at Google for DIY systems - you could build a 250 ltr/hr system for less than half the price of a purpose built marine system of similar output.

ribrage

Visit site
Exactly my point - needs lots of attention when run in heavy sediment. All the ships I've worked on when in heavy silt reduce water production and use tankage until back at sea for that very reason.

If the OP is intending on sitting on a mid river pontoon and living aboard, my personal choice would be to take the boat alongside once a month and fill from a hose.

Just my opinion