water lock

TJAGAIN

Visit site
when my yacht was taken from being run aground to the jetty the guys that did it ran the engine ( an old but fully reconditioned) perkins 4108 without opening the water cock for the engine , she got hot as you would expect but when checking her out found the water lock spurting water out . do you guys think as i do that the hot gasses have melted a hole in her and do you think it can be repaired ? if not and it needs replacing any ideas where i might be able to get hold of one?

chriscallender

Visit site
Yep, did exactly the same myself once but with a less understandable reason /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif .... no damage to the engine itself but the hot exhaust gas melted the plastic water trap very, very quickly.

Also, if there is the usual flexible exhaust hose its quite likely that the heat will have caused the inner part of the hose to collapse, at least that happened to me.

So I'd take apart everything in the exhaust system and check it carefully..

If its a plastic water lock, then I don't see much realistic chance of reparing (and being confident of it again in the future). I think the Vetus type of water locks are available from most big chandlers, or definitely online from places like ASAP supplies. Cost depends on size etc, hopefully some change out of £100 but not cheap.

Chris

TJAGAIN

Visit site
unfortunatly sailorman the guys that got her to the jetty did it in a very bad storm and saved her from being totally destroyed (many thanks to them) and in the dark. thanks for all your comments though. she is still sat on the jetty at the moment waiting for the weather and tides to be right and then a crew from a boat yard are going to get her back for estimates and repairs

Dave_Seager

www.seagers.org.uk
I too agree about replacing the exhaust hose. We had a temporary cooling blockage and thought that we had got away with no damage. Several months later the exhaust hose crumbled and nearly sank the boat.

Krusty

Visit site
Do the Corpach guys intend to tow her all the way, or get her there under her own power? If it's the latter, you had better have the whole exhaust system repaired by them before the boat leaves.
If you do it yourself and there is an incident on the way due to a problem with the exhaust, you will have to carry the liability!
It could result in things getting very messy with your insurer. Once you have notified them of a claim, you are no longer free to do whatever you want with your own boat!
I've been there!

Marmalade

Visit site
Lovely to hear about someone who isn't looking to sue the person who helped them - maybe there is hope after all! Good on you and I hope the insurers see it the same way.