Water leaking from impeller

G

I have renewed shaft, bearings and seals in an raw water impeller pump but am getting around one drip every four seconds when the engine is running. There is nothing when the engine is not running which was not the case before renewal.
I am concerned that water might enter the oil seal side of the pump. The shaft size and seals match the old ones but I am not very up on seals. Do they have to go well into the impeller housing ? - I am reluctant to damage them by using force. Should they be tapped in gnetly with a drift and hammer or have I done something else wrong ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

G

All pumps are different. If the seal fits in a cavity, it usually should be flush with the top of the cavity, however, if you have been able to re-assemble the pump it sounds like everything is in place otherwise you would usually have trouble.

If tapping the seal into the cavity, use a wide flat tool that you can position vertically above the seal and tap the end of the tool with the hammer - it is important that it goes in parallel, not one side first. I often select a ratchet wrench socket with an outside diameter just slightly less than the outer diameter of the seal.

Don't rush to re-work it if you think you assembled it OK. Quite often a leak like this will repair itself as the seal surfaces bed themselves.

tech@yandina.com

RayJones

Visit site
This may sound like a stupid question, but are you sure you put the seal in the right way round? It's easily done.

Regards Ray Jones.

G

Very relevant Ray.

I have often gone down the wrong road when a simple answer is often the solution.

Thanks
Vic

G

Thanks Colin for the very helful advice.

Following your suggestions I am guessing that I have not bedded the seal in properly. I have left the seal proud of the housing which may be the problem. A plate goes on top of this which may also we wobbling about.

I will buy a new seal and have another go.

Many Thanks,

Vic

Juggler7823

Visit site
Vic, You do not say what type of pump/engine you are having problems with. Most pumps have 2 identical seals which fit into the body of the pump sometimes with a spacer O ring or just a space between. There should be a tell tale hole in the body of the pump in line with the space between the seals. The seals are fitted back to back. One stops water getting into the engine, the other stops oil getting out. If a seal leaks oil or water leaks through the tell tale hole which should always be kept free of gunge.

You might be talking of the pump cover seal. Make sure that it is fitted to match the striker plate.

Roy

G

Thanks for the interest Roy.

The engine is a Volvo 2001 circa 1993.

You description of formation is right on the nose.

From the engine side it goes :-

Bearing-spacer-bearing-seal-plastic spacer

Then seal (same as oil seal)- striker plate (snugs up to small pin)-bracket which is held on to body of pump by a screw- then impeller itself-screw cover.

I renewed nearly all of the above including shaft, bearings etc with a kit from Volvo.

Have to admit but I did not notice any tell tale hole.

I pressed the bearings onto the shaft using a vice - could I have done something wrong here ?

One last thing. When I dismantled the pump a rubberised ring came off which hugs the shaft exactly and could not work out what it does. The kit also came with one of these, I phoned the Agent up and they said it was not necessary as I had a plastic spacer already ?

Regards,
Vic

G

Also tape over any machining on the shaft before pushing shaft through new seals as the slot [or whatever] can nick the seal and it only takes a small nick to leak?